Forum home Plants

Lacebugs and Pieris

Hi All
I have a Pieris Forest Flame which has suddenly started dropping all its lower leaves (I had noticed they were turning yellow but it's only got really bad in the last week or two. I had a close look at it and discovered what I think are lacebugs all over it  - I gather from googling that this is a common problem with Pieris.
As it's October, is it too late in the year to spray it with insecticide? I have a bottle of Bayer Garden Ultimate Bug Killer but it doesn't mention lace bugs - will that sort of stuff kill all bugs?
Any feedback much appreciated image

Last edited: 18 October 2016 12:08:23

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,169

I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF LACEBUGS BEFORE. A JAPANESE INVADER, IT APPEARS.

THEY DEFINITELY HAVEN'T MANAGED TO INVADE DERBYSHIRE YET.

HERE IS SOME INFO ABOUT THEM AND HOW TO FIX THEM

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=663

IF YOU CAN FOLLOW THE LINK THAT IS.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Thanks for the feedback Pansyface - it looks like the spray stuff I have is suitable for lacebugs so I gave it a good all-over spray in the end and will leave it now until spring to see if it recovers. It was very healthy to start with so hopefully no permanent damage done! image

• I have the same situation with a large pieris. Did the treatment work?  Hope so:-)
  • Hi Ruthinbrum as this post was from 4 years ago I am assuming it did as my Pieris is still very much alive and thriving :) However, since that original post I have gone over to using a combination of organic neem oil and horticultural soap to deal with most stubborn bug infestations in the garden (you only need a tiny amount of each in a water sprayer) I've read that neem oil also tackles lacebugs, so can recommend that as an alternative option to try :)