Sloes in Somerset

Hi all!

New to here. As I'm getting married next year, I'm doing a budget Chrismas and am doing various homemade items including Damson/Sloe Gin. 

Do any of you lovely lot know where about is best to find either of these berries this time of year around the Backwell/South Bristol/Somerset area?

Thanks!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,579

I AM OF AN AGE WHERE I CAN'T BEGIN TO UNDERSTAND TWITTER OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT. BUT I SEE THAT THIS NEWSPAPER HAS A TWITTER LINK. 

http://www.southbristolvoice.co.uk

COULD YOU ASK THIS QUESTION THERE PERHAPS?

Last edited: 17 October 2016 18:25:42

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • I can't help directly, either, I'm afraid.  But you may consider going to a local farmers' market and buying some damsons (which is what I did recently).  They're not expensive, and damson gin is a pretty good substitute for sloe gin, I think.  And it takes time to mature (the longer the better - what is made this year is even better by Christmas 2017).

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 53,900

And if damsons aren't available then Raspberry Vodka is an interesting alternative and doesn't need so long to mature. image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,448

I've not been there for a while but I used to find the people at Barley Wood (Wrington) very helpful at sourcing food locally - they may be able to suggest (or supply) damsons for you. Its worth a visit anyway if you've not been there.

We used to pick blackberries and sloes in the fields near our house (near Dundry) but it would be tricky to explain how to get there if you don't know the specific area very well. Damsons are hard to find growing wild - bullaces and cherry plums are easier but knowledge of the location of good trees of those is rarely shared and it's late in the season now - but sloes are very common. So find a quiet lane or bridleway, take a bag or box and walk slowly, look carefully. When you 'get your eye in', you'll find them.

Last edited: 18 October 2016 08:11:58

You just want somebody listening to what you say 
    It doesn't matter who you are