Harlequin Ladybird

Found this little lovely today whilst admiring the Autumn colours of a potted Acer. I read that this Ladybird can be called the Halloween Ladybird - could it be because they are abundent in Autumn, or because of their colouring perhaps? 

My garden and I live in South Wales. 

• RootedRooted Posts: 1

I am in SW France and we had a ladybird plague today. All finding a hibernation spot in the limestone walls. I feel so lucky because, hopefully, they will emerge, hungry, frisky and ready to munch on all things destructive when they come out...There were all different types...An amazing sight...  

• Hi AuntyRach

That definitely looks like a Harlequin. They come in a number of different colours and can be seen in huge clusters at this time of year around the sash window recesses in our house. They're a real pest as they tend to swarm around the house as soon as the central heating comes on (around Halloween)..

I was advised by an entomologist to hoover them up . He said that beetles are tough and can survive that treatment. I hoovered them up one evening a few years ago when my seven year old grandson was freaked out after they came swarming round his nightlight. I stopped counting when I reached a hundred! More often I have scooped them into a container and put them somewhere sheltered outside.

When these first came into the country in the early 2000's they were thought to pose a danger to our native ladybirds by eating more than their fair share of aphids and even eating our natives. I think the jury may still be out on this but they are so widespread now that nothing will stop them.

There is a really good website (see below) with good pics to help id.

http://www.harlequin-survey.org/recognition_and_distinction.htm#

Good luck and, whatever you do, don't let these 'little lovelies' in your house!

• AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 2,691

Another magic moment from Mother Nature there Rooted - thanks for sharing ?

• AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 2,691

Fab info thanks CurlyCarly. Suppose one is cute but a hundred sounds like the makings of a Halloween movie! 

Last edited: 15 October 2016 23:05:32

• Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 1,963

Looks like the Harmonia axyridis conspicua (see details on the website mentioned by CurlyCarly above at http://www.harlequin-survey.org/recognition_and_distinction.htm#

They are considered an invasive pest and should be reported (see the harlequin-survey site).

You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • The_herpetologistThe_herpetologist West YorksPosts: 421

Surely too common now to be reportable? I have seen at least one every day over summer / autumn. Still see some natives as well though. They seem to be living together ok....at least in my garden..