Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Farmyard manure & dogs

I've just bought three bags of farmyard manure & three bags of horse manure (anyone know the pros & cons of either?). Took them down the end of the garden, but one bag had a slight split in it and my dog started tucking in to itimage  He does occasionally eat fresh cow/horse poo on walks with no side-effects, but I'm now very reluctant to spread whole bagfuls around.

Does anyone have any experience of this? Has your dog had a few tastes and then not bothered? And what can I do with all the manure otherwise? Could I mix it with something else in planting holes, or add it gradually to the compost bin, for instance?

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,032

My dog occasionally ate horse poo, I have horses, but when I spread manure as a mulch he usually didn't bother with it.

I've mixed it with compost in the bin, used it as a mulch and, especially when planting roses, mixed it by digging it into the earth.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

Horse manure is from horses.  Farmyard manure is probably cow or mixed.  They may heat up differently.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,340

I've been spreading well rotted horse manure on some beds.
    Since then every morning my dog returns from her 1st patrol of the day munching something - now I think I know what!

It doesn't seem to have done her any harm and she's certainly not especially interested in it

Last edited: 15 October 2016 18:16:05

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,065

I rather expect our terrier (Wheaten type but unknown cos she's a rescue) would roll in it and the Labrador would eat it.  I shall find out soon enough as new neighbours on one side have 500 beef cattle and on the other 2 horses and a pony.  The latter want to use our paddock for their horses and the rent will be manure for our veggie plot.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,032

Dogs are curious creatures!

The heating up differently (I don't think they do though) is at the beginning when it's starting to rot. Once it's all rotted, a few months to a year later, and is dark and crumbly it isn't heating any more and you can use it.

Judy, is your manure fresh or rotted? Don't use it until it's rotted.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • JudyNJudyN Posts: 119

Thanks for all the repliesimage

Busy-Lizzie, yes, it is rotted - though on walks Jasper is usually a bit of a connisseur and only eats it fresh. I think I'll have to put it out in reasonably small quantities and keep my fingers crossed.

• JudyNJudyN Posts: 119

It turns out that though 'farmyard manure' is a tasty treat, 'horse manure' isn't, so I know which we'll be getting in the future! This just applies to B&Q manure - it might not apply to other brands. Or other dogs, come to that.

• WateryWatery Posts: 388

My dog eats garden compost and the compost I buy at the recycling centre.  On walks he occasionally nibbles on sheep, rabbit or cow poo but I can't tell which ones will tempt him.  Basically herbivore poo is for tasting and omnivore/carnivore poo is for rolling in.  I don't use any manure in the garden because of him. 

• sanjy67sanjy67 Posts: 1,007

my dog will occasionally eat horse poo on a walk but doesn't touch manure on the garden but when i tried using blood fish and bone in planting holes he dug them all up so i don't use that any more, fox poo is exclusively for rolling in image