greenhouses

I recently retired so bought a plastic walkin greenhouse.

I have grown tomatoes for the street along with peppers and have thoroughly enjoyed it.

Now I want to buy a bigger and stronger greenhouse 6 X 8, but do not know which one to buy as there are so many on the internet.

Can anyone advise me please.

Thanks

Lindasparky

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,873

I would recommend the best one you can afford, however with greenhouses best = very expensive.

you could also have a look at polytunnels, which in my opinion are almost as good as a greenhouse and a lot cheaper.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,734

Hi Linda - I'm also recently retired (somewhat earlier than I should really) I done a lot of research earlier this year and I've settled for a Rhino Premium g/house.
    It'll be installed week after next.

Last edited: 14 October 2016 14:15:17

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Singing GardenerSinging Gardener EssexPosts: 840

If you're looking for something a bit cheaper then I'd recommend the Greenhouse People. I bought a 6x8 greenhouse from them a couple of years ago and it's been excellent. Mine came with 2 automatic vents and with toughened glass and had really clear assembly instructions. Their after sales service is also very good - there was one small pack of bits missing and they sent it next day delivery when I phoned them up.

• Bee witchedBee witched Scottish BordersPosts: 464

Hi Pete 8,

I think you'll be delighted with your new Rhino ...

We did the installation of ours in July .... and I just love it!  My husband thinks he'll never see me again ... he could be right.image

Great company ... nothing too much trouble  ... and I managed to "negotiate" a good price for shelving etc. Also used a GW code to get a bit more off too.

Currently filling it with overwintering plants. Roll on Spring to start seed sowing!

Bee image

image  Bees must gather nectar from two million flowers to make one pound of honey 

Hi Bw - couldn't agree more about the help from Rhino. Tracey at Rhino couldn't have been more helpful. She sent me no end of diagrams and details. I also done some negotiating and was pleased with the result.

Looking forward to the 24th when it's installed

• Thanks everyone for you replies and help.

Much appreciated.

Hi Bee witched,

May I ask did you go to Rhino direct and did they fit the greenhouse for you?

I have a man coming next week to lay down paving stones for me.

Did you do this over the internet or by telephone with Rhino?

What is a GW please.  If I can get any discounts it would be great!

lindasparky

• Bee witchedBee witched Scottish BordersPosts: 464

Hello Linda,

This is the company I ordered from ...

http://www.greenhousesdirect.co.uk/

I worked out what I wanted using the website to build up a quote. I then rang to see if they would take anything off for using the code (GW16) which is in the Gardeners' World magazine .... and they took off £89. I then asked if they could discount the shelving and freestanding staging and managed to get a further discount (think it was 10%). They were very helpful with all my questions ... and arranged for us to see one recently put up by another couple in our area ... and this was v. useful.

We put our own paving down ... and left a channel for getting electricity in (will have this done in Spring). I also left out 6 flags  inside and filled with granite chips for an area to water plants on, and this has been great.

We put the greenhouse up ourselves ... hard work but good fun (you'll need 2 step ladders).

It's very good quality ... I splashed out and chose the Blue Grass colour and the stainless steel ramp.

Hope this is helpful.

Bee x

image  Bees must gather nectar from two million flowers to make one pound of honey 

Snap Bw - I also went for the Blue Grass and ramp - and grey blinds

• Hi Bee and Pete8

Thanks for your information.

Not long to go now before your greenhouse is erected Pete8!

I have bought a greenhouse from the greenhouse people.

It's more expensive than I wanted to pay but decided to get the re-inforced glass.

It will take 3 to 5 weeks before it comes and I have spoken to one of their experts who will come and erect it for me.

Can't wait!!!!!

Lindasparky