Toad (?) in border

imageimage

I moved some brick edging in my front garden this morning and found (pretty sure) a toad. It wasn't particularly 'warty' or dry but the plants were wet from last night's rain. I went to get my camera but it had gone when I returned. Attach pic of where it was plus others to give idea of area. Apart from the close-up, pics were taken couple of months ago.

Looking on the internet there is advice about toad soaking pools/houses etc. I have quite a lot of work on in my place as it is, without constructing toad habitats but, saying that, I am was delighted to see it and hope the garden is ok for it's survival. There is lots of cover, some paving slabs and stones (overgrown with plants) large shrubs etc.  

Being a front garden - the road isn't far away but it would have to get onto the drive first. I would be more worried if it was in the back garden as there was a visit from a fox recently (looked like the battle of the Somme, with flower beds dug up, gravel and membrane dug up and bulbs scattered around.)

image  Before anyone rushes to their defence - I don't want to get into a heated debate as I think they are a menace.  Advice re toad would be great please!  

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 53,220

If you've found a toad in your garden it's likely that you've already provided the right habitat - and yours may well travel from your front garden to the back - ours do.  Lots of ground-cover and some slightly curved rooftiles underneath an overhanging plant in a dark damp corner seem to be what keeps ours happy image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thanks DfA.  I doubt that the toad could get to the back garden - it would have to go up the drive at the side of the house and through a wooden side gate which is kept locked.

I have found newts in the back garden!  My back garden backs onto Canford Heath - an extensive natural area on the edge of Poole.

I did bring two convex roof tiles back from France with the intention of painting them as wall decorations - maybe I will donate one for the toad!

Lyn, that is exactly what our toad does, up the concrete path at the side of the house, under the very low locked solid wooden gate between two high brick walls and across the terrace to the dark dank area where I store my pots and where the slugs and their friends like to lurk .  I know it's the same toad as I've photographed it in both places and compared the photos carefully. We've seen other toads in the garden too, but I'm sure this is the same one.  I think toads can really flatten themselves to squeeze under narrow gaps.

Lovely to have newts too image   We have some smooth newts here, but when I lived on a smallholding we had a large colony of great cresteds - wonderful to watch the males mating display in the ponds on a sunny day. 

It sounds as if you live in a lovely spot image

Last edited: 14 October 2016 12:49:39

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Yes, I know critters are good at negotiating places - the gate doesn't have a gap under though. Not sure how he/she'll get on in the Summer - if still around. My garden gets incredibly dry and hot (I'm on sand) especially the front. It was a nightmare keeping everything watered this year. This pic was the back a couple of months ago.     image.

• pbffpbff Posts: 434

Your garden looks stunning Lyn - and love the little King Charles too!image

As Dove said, the toad must have deemed your habitat suitable to be there, but adding some tiles or a few stones and a piece or two of dead wood  in a shady spot make for ideal 'toad restaurants' and hibernation sites.

Great to have the newts too image

Maybe it was you keeping everything watered that attracted your toad to your garden, especially if the gardens around you were suffering in the drought.  image

• Thanks to everyone for their encouraging words. (Alice says thanks too!)