Forum home Plants

First Rose Garden

I have ordered some David Austin Roses which are due two weeks time.  I have dug in some manure, can anyone suggest some companion plants.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,872

Underplant with daffodils and hardy geraniums

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 6,387

..what roses have you ordered?

In this corner of my garden I have 'Lichfield Angel' / 'Munstead Wood' / and 'Sir John Betjeman' interspersed with Geum 'Lady Stratheden', Erysimum 'Bowles Mauve'.. Geranium 'Eureka Blue' Geranium 'Cambridge'[mauve].. Foxgloves and I like to underplant with annuals like bedding Begonias in pink and white..  

In Spring, I have Tulip 'Lady Jane' planted en masse with Veronica 'Georgia Blue'...

I hope you find this of interest...

Last edited: 13 October 2016 18:23:16

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 18,485

Pink roses look lovely underplanted with blue, such as Geranium "Orion", Johnson's Blue for early flowering and Rozanne for later flowering. Also blue salvias, Nepeta, veronicas (not tall), compact perovskia.

Last edited: 13 October 2016 18:51:26

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • Marlorena says:

..what roses have you ordered?

In this corner of my garden I have 'Lichfield Angel' / 'Munstead Wood' / and 'Sir John Betjeman' interspersed with Geum 'Lady Stratheden', Erysimum 'Bowles Mauve'.. Geranium 'Eureka Blue' Geranium 'Cambridge'[mauve].. Foxgloves and I like to underplant with annuals like bedding Begonias in pink and white..  

In Spring, I have Tulip 'Lady Jane' planted en masse with Veronica 'Georgia Blue'...

I hope you find this of interest...

Last edited: 13 October 2016 18:23:16

See original post

Apricot Nectar

Gertrude Jekyll                                             image <source srcset="http://www.davidaustinroses.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/324x324/e9c3970ab036de70892d86c6d221abfe/g/o/golden_celebration_1.jpg"

• imageimageimageSome random pics from a newbie

You have a nice garden Alan, colourful borders, a large pond and an open outlook at the rear.   I like your Magnolia too, I'd be growing a rose through that.

Incidentally, the photo you put up there isn't 'Gertrude Jekyll', that's a pink rose, the one in your photo is 'Lady Emma Hamilton'...  have you ordered that one too?... it has a good reputation...

What pretty beds, Alan.

I think that rose is Apricot Nectar but the name has appeared above Gertrude Jekyll. It looks similar to Lady Emma Hamilton which I have. I love Lady Emma, neat habit, red flushed leaves, gorgeous scent, flowers 3 or 4 times a year, never ill (so far).

Dordogne and Norfolk

Yes, it's one I intend to get myself at some point, I always hear such good things about it.

Apricot Nectar is rather more yellow than that, a floribunda, and not an Austin rose although sold by them.

Alan lifted the photo directly from the Austin website..

http://www.davidaustinroses.co.uk/lady-emma-hamilton

So he did, but my Lady Emma isn't quite so intense in colour as that. I don't think the colours in print or on the web are always very accurate.

Have you been to the DA gardens, Marlorena? We went 2 years ago in June, they were wonderful.

Dordogne and Norfolk

No Busy-Lizzie,  I haven't, which is a serious omission on my part.   I just hope to do so one day. Maybe next year...  Everyone says it's wonderful... but I know you have some lovely roses in your garden too...