Forum home Tools and techniques

Coldframes in winter

I've just bought a coldframe and all my lovely seedlings are v happy! im just thinking ahead to colder winter months and not sure if I still need to be opening the tops daily to let in the air in as I'm doing at the moment. 

Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late.

• Peanuts3Peanuts3 Posts: 759

following, as this will be my first winter using my coldframe and I have no idea what to do with it either.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

I never close anything, frame or cold GH but I do have the lid over the plants to stop them getting too wet. 

• Bright starBright star Wrea GreenPosts: 793

Thx nutcutlet 

Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,347

Same as nut, but also take time to consider where you site your frame as well.  image

Your own weather conditions will dictate too - facing the full blast of incoming wind and rain is less than ideal!  

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • cornellycornelly Posts: 923

As in a glasshouse plants placed on polystyrene trays on the floor are to be warmer than placed higher, I use spun fleece as a cover in colder weather.

• cornellycornelly Posts: 923

I have wooden benching in my glasshouse but have found over the years that plants placed on polystyrene trays on the floor are better protected from frost than those on the benches where the frost gets up underneath, and destroys them, even my heated bench has polysterne trays under the heat mats.