Forum home Plants

autumn sown sweet peas

Bagpuss57Bagpuss57 South West Posts: 256

Hi guys, I wonder if there is anyone out there who can give me some advice on how to overwinter autumn sown sweet peas. I have never been very successful with my spring sown sweet peas and thought I'd try the guidance on the pack to sow them in autumn on my windowsill. Only now they are already starting to shoot up I am not quite sure what I'm supposed to do next. If they stay on the windowsill they'll surely continue to grow taller and be difficult to keep there. Do I put them in the cold frame? Will they be protected enough in there over winter? I've tied in some stems that were starting to flop. But if they grow too tall it will be tricky to protect them outside. Any help! This is my first shot at overwintering autumn sown seeds and I'm not sure what im doing!!

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,349

Hi Claire - they need pinching out and putting in the cold frame. image

Sweet peas are hardy, so you'd have been better sowing them and putting the frame from the start. The house will have been too warm, causing them to shoot up and look for light, hence the spindly tall growth. Don't worry, nip them back a bit just now, and as they form more leaves,  pinch them out to create strong bushy plants. They'll gradually slow down a bit as the colder weather comes in too. If they've been inside for a while, put them outside through the day for a week or so, then leave them in the cold frame, opening it regularly to give plenty of ventilation. It's only the worst of winter rain that creates a problem for young plants, so once they're in the frame, they'll be fine.

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Bagpuss57Bagpuss57 South West Posts: 256

Tank you I will sow some more and put them outside in the cold frame like you say and then if the first ones are too spindly I'll have a back up.