Pruning a sedum

In spring it was lovely and neat and now, it's really not.

What's the best way to tidy it up please and when?

I'd like to wait until it's finished flowering before I do anything as the bees love it.

imageimage

It's round the base of a hibiscus tree.

• CloggieCloggie Posts: 1,176

That's the only thing with these, they flop don't they? 

I think you are meant to catch them early on and cut them back to make them grow bushier and thicker.  Mine are young so not flopping this year but I intend to try this "Chelsea Chop" idea next year to prevent them doing this.

Google the Chelsea Chop for Sedum and you should get some hits, here's one:

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=594

• B3B3 Posts: 9,027

That was really interesting cloggie. It's a shame GW doesn't do before and afters.

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,882

dividing the plants regularly is said to help. I think it might be true but I rarely get round to it,

In my very first garden I planted a sedum Autumn Joy and it did just this so I've avoided them since.  However, I got a variegated sedum from our local nursery last year and couldn't resist it.  However, it didn't like where I planted it so I ended up splitting it into lots of little ones which this year have only sort of established.

I'm expecting next year to have to "Chelsea Chop" them (if I'm lucky!). 

It's all trial and error isn't it?  Fun finding out though.

But of course for some of us it's the first time Verdun.  image

When you say cut them back, do you cut to two leaves a certain number up from the base?  I'm learning how to cut back my wisteria and the advice there is to cut to 5 nodes at this time of year.  Is there similar guidance for the Sedum Chelsea Chop?

• Thanks all,

Yes Verdun, you need to be patient with us newbies image - I normally do a search before I post, but I forgot last night.

This is how it was in spring... a sort of 'before' shot B3, if not what you meant!

• AsarumAsarum Posts: 280

You could always use something like these  https://www.ukgardenproducts.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=443.  Others I'm sure are available. But remember to put them in place early in the season.

East Anglia