Wildlife Pond

Hi Everyone

Continuing on from my last question re digging out my wildlife pond I have returned with a couple of more questions.  Work is steadily progressing as you can see.

Firstly, I came across this during my excavations!

After much effort I (with help) was able to get it out in one complete lump!  Phew.  The hole left, because of where it was, needed filling in.  I back filled the area gradually using the clay soil I dug out from elsewhere and ensured I tamped it down really well.  Adding a few inches at a time then ramming down.  Will this be suffice so as not to cause me bother at a later date?

I appreciate that it is more important to get the level correct around the edge of the pond.  It appears, although I have not checked this with level etc that the edge where the lawn is dips and is slightly lower that the edge where the plants are.   Should I also build up this edge with clay soil or is there an other way I haven't yet thought off?  The lawn edge is where the planned beach/shallow waters will be if that has any bearings on advice.

Thanks in advance.  I have found all your advice and comment invaluable thus far.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 53,132

Bumping up image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• AngieRAngieR Posts: 346

Thank you Dovefromabove.  I live in hope of getting some feedback image.  I am scouring the web for advice - there's just too much out there and much of it conflicting.

• WateryWatery Posts: 388

The only thing I can think of is bricks or large stones around the edge to act as a dam.  Animals will still be able to climb over it. Otherwise, your lawn will flood whenever there is a heavy rain.  Or bring the other sides down a bit.  I would think you want your beach bit to be the highest so that some is exposed in low water but won't overflow in high water.   I could be wrong though.  I'm surprised other people haven't responded.   Good luck.  You may want to try the waterlife  thread on http://www.wildaboutbritain.co.uk/forums/.

I'm sorry I didn't answer but I was just going out when I spotted your query ... 

I think Watery's advice sounds good - I'll try to find one of the earlier threads about wildlife ponds ... 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Here it is http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/wildlife-gardening/small-wildlife-pond/962681-3.html/

it's a long thread - several of us were making new ponds about the same time and comparing notes - I've linked to the page with photos of our pond image but it is a very successful pond and we love it.  But there's lots of other really good information on the rest of the thread. 

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,715

How are you going to hide the liner? Are you going to put slabs round it or something else?

You need to check the level at the top across all the pond as the pond will only fill to the lowest level, then over spill into lawn/beds and if one side is higher then the liner will never be covered with water and will look so unsightly it will make your eyes water!!  If it is higher at the part with the soil you will need to skim it back quite a bit so it is level with the area immediately next to the grass. 

It is very important to work out how you intend to cover the edges of the liner. 

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller

The cobbles in the foreground of the picture are my beach. The circumference of the pond is made with big rocks and the liner goes under them and up to the top with the result you cannot see any of the liner. 

The cobbles in the foreground of the picture are my beach. The circumference of the pond is made with big rocks and the liner goes under them and up to the top with the result you cannot see any of the liner. This was a pic when it was just done. Bit small!

• AngieRAngieR Posts: 346

Thanks guys and gals.

I rigged this up today and it seems my eyes were deceiving me!  What I thought was the highest level, where the existing planting is, appears to be slightly lower than the lawn edge.  When I get a chance later today I am going to nip out and buy a longer level to save me using the shorter one on top of a length of wood.  Still this way gives me an idea of where work is still needed.

Watery - thanks for the link.  There is plenty reading there for me to digest.  It's useful getting other folks thoughts.  I want to get this right first time.  I am coming across so much info about what can and will go wrong and want to avoid those pitfalls if I can.

Dovefromabove.  The post you link too and many of the others on here are the ones that I read before getting started all of which were most helpful.  Your pond is lovely and it was your picture of what it looked like when you'd first dug everything out that helped me most believe it or not.  It allowed me to visualise just what I need to do.

Hogweed - you pond is the look I want/hope to achieve but on a smaller scale.  It's how I've envisaged it from the start.  I intend to hide the liner with a mixture of rocks, stones, cobbles and gravel in varying sizes to achieve a natural look as you have done.  I had intended to edge on part with slabs creating a path up to the greenhouse and shed but have reconsidered this and will edge with stones first then put the path adjacent to it.  That way I don't have to have the slabs cut to the curve of the pond.  

I really can't thank you all enough for pointing me on the correct path.  There was much discussion in my previous post re depths and it is currently sitting at around 20" at its deepest but intend to take out a few more inches once I get the top level sorted.  Since it's only for wildlife I think that should suffice.