Beautiful 12ft Victorian brick wall

I have just moved to my first house and inherited a beautiful mature garden but I am a bit clueless and the previous owners didn't really keep on top of things. I have had 6 huge leilandi removed from the bottom of the garden and now have exposed a beautiful 12ft Victorian wall that separates my garden from the park behind. It's a bit of a blank canvas currently and I am not sure how to proceed. I would like to reintroduce some greenery/plants to that end of the garden as it is a bit bare! I am open to suggestions. The garden is Southwest facing and the soil currently isn't great but am hoping now the conifers are all out it will improve...image

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,705

A PERFECT WALL FOR TRAINING A FEW FRUIT TREES.

Last edited: 08 October 2016 17:59:12

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,984

good idea pf

The soil will need your help to improve tisch.

a bit of muck

• Thanks for your replies. I like the idea of fruit trees but am a bit scared of introducing more trees after paying so much money to have the conifers removed...or are fruit trees a totally different (better) kettle of fish? I am a bit fearful of anything else in the garden getting that out of control!

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 7,837
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,705

SOMETHING LIKE THIS WOULD GIVE YOU HOURS OF FUN.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 13,638

Walls like that are classic for fruit trees, you have to keep them pruned like the one above but it's not difficult.

You could also plant flowering climbers such as clematis and roses. But the ground would have to be dug and manured and you would have to provide supports such as horizontal wires.

Don't plant anything too close to the wall, it can be very dry as the wall shelters the ground immediately below from the rain.

It looks as though you could have a fabulous garden there.

Dordogne and Norfolk