Forum home The potting shed

Pampas grass cortaderia

does anyone know why i bought a pampas grass, having never liked them, and then put it in rather a prominent position In the garden? 

I like the tall, the spiky, i love grasses, like big bold plants, but ive never liked the white pampas grass.  I dont think its to do with being unfashionable or commonly found, that wouldnt bother me, so  dont know why i dont like it exactly.

Its been in a year or more, has grown very well...getting big...eeek..what shall i do with it? 

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

Compost heap?

I like tall grasses as well but not the top-heavy blobs of pampas grass, white or dirty white (or photoshop pink)

I don't care about fashion eitherimage

• The feathery plumes are much loved by the smaller birds ( particularly sparrows ) as nesting materialimage

• B3B3 Posts: 15,072

Better make your mind up soon as they're a bzzzer to get rid of when they get big.

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • a1154a1154 Posts: 806

Its horrible isnt it? I love stipa gigantea, and that has the same sort of shape and size, but that is beautiful. I cant say i have nowhere else for it, i can probably shove it round the back somewhere, but i dont think i will ever like it, compost might be the best bet.

• B3B3 Posts: 15,072

It might be ok in the corner of a garden that's big enough to lose a couple of cedars, but not in yer normal back garden.

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,992

Burn it now!

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller

Planted next to the pond between 2 low walls - sparrows love the plumes for nesting material, frogs use it as a natural step, Hedgehogs snuffle about ( part of their "regular" run ) and Slow worms hide in it.

In the right context, what's not to like ? image

To be sure, the foliage is sharp and painful but then so are the thorns on Roses.

• CloggieCloggie Posts: 1,289

The one in my last garden was where a frog overwintered and I've had a robin nest in the variegated one in my current garden.  Not quite sure how, but I killed the one in my old garden (think it was too damp).

I don't hate Pampas Grass and I like the plumes.  I clearly don't care about fashion nor believe that in your front garden (which mine isn't) it is used as a flag for swingers!!!

I cut mine back every couple of years and the cuttings make great "brown" for the compost.