Pile of logs

I have a smallish pile of logs from cutting the branches of a large, dead apple tree.

I understand that log piles are a 'good  thing''

Should I site it in a particular place or do anything to it to encourage wildlife?

Easy suggestions or advice for a lazy gardener would be appreciatedimage

In London. Keen but lazy.

• OnopordumOnopordum Posts: 390

Somewhere where you won't need to disturb it, ideally either in the shade or semi-shade. You can add more logs or deadwood to the of the pile as and when you have them. Better on the ground than on a hard surface like concrete.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 53,375

I would put it in the shadiest most out of the way place that you've got, where future inhabitants won't be disturbed.  Plant around it with ferns, foxgloves, pulmonarias etc and  wait and see what happens.  

By the way, I've just planted my Gardener's Garter grass this afternoon  so a big THANK YOU image.   I was going to wait until next spring to plant it, but it had outgrown its (quite large) pot so it's in its new home, next to the old tree stump which is there to rot down and provide a home for beetles.  I've also planted some white Tresemble daffodils next to it so as the grass comes up with it's creamy pink shoots it'l look fabulous.  I'll pop out and take a photo if the rain holds off ..... 

It looks a bit scruffy cos it's started to die down but it's going to look great next summer. 

Last edited: 04 October 2016 16:29:58

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• B3B3 Posts: 9,161

I'm so glad it's growing for you. I know some people are a bit sniffy about it but I think it's a really attractive and useful plant. It looks good with  flowers like white aquilegia too. I'm looking forward to the pics.

Thanks to both of you for advice. Spookily, I seem to have a number of shady neglected spots in my gardenimage

I've just spotted the photo. It'll look great when the new shoots come

• Yes, semi shade is good, but perhaps somehwre where some moisture can get to it. I have a couple of log piles. created about the same time and one pile is under a conifer tree where it gets little moisture and doesn't seem to attract nearly as many insects as the other which is a bit more exposed to the elements. It's the rotting wood that's attractive.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 23,749

I have a shady corner in behind the shed. It's flanked by the existing conifer and pine on the boundary. I have all sorts of sh**e, errr...wildlife friendly logs and plants in it. image

We get plenty of rain, so even in summer, the ground is damp in most of it. 

I have Ferns, Astilbes, Hostas,London Pride, Euphorbias  and Geraniums. Nettles, logs - mainly rotting - piles of soil and branches, and nooks and crannies for creatures to hide in. It's ideal for the birds too.

I pass a house on the way home Dove - it has the same arrangement of Aster and Rudbeckia (?) in the front garden.  image

And somewhere on the hill
    Inside the past we hear the bells
    Catching only parts of thoughts
    And fragments of ourselves
    Till we begin
    Again

Fairygirl - a veritable wildlife sanctuary  - an area of outstanding natural sh**e?

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 23,749

Abso totally lutely ,  B3!  image

And somewhere on the hill
    Inside the past we hear the bells
    Catching only parts of thoughts
    And fragments of ourselves
    Till we begin
    Again

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 53,375
    Fairygirl says:

.. I pass a house on the way home Dove - it has the same arrangement of Aster and Rudbeckia (?) in the front garden.  image

Yep - Aster 'Little Carlow' and Rudbeckia 'Goldsturm' - both planted out earlier this year and performing really well for newbies image

Last edited: 04 October 2016 19:27:43

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 4,650

I have quite a big log pile in a corner under a pine tree. It's damp there and shady.  I haven't purposely planted anything by it but ivy has grown over it.  I also used a few housebricks to create a hideaway for toads etc. I doubt anything would grow there so it's quite a good way to use a bit of garden that otherwise would be a problem area.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands