Chimney planter advice please

Hi all

just need some advice -  I have two lovely chimney pots which have a metal, perforated base inserted in them but they are quite shallow (about six inches deep).  I have tried several plants in them but without success so wondered if anyone had any suggestions.  I would ideally like perennials with year round interest.  I have tried box and dwarf conifers but neither survived (I think because of the shallow bowls). Any advice welcomed.

Should also say they are quite tall and wide so need something with a bit of height to look right I think

also it is quite cold and windy as I'm in the North East

thanks 

fj

Last edited: 04 October 2016 12:27:56

• thanks for reply -  I think I will have to see if I can remove the plates and lower them

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 20,922

Would be worth giving it a go Julia. as Verdun says, it would be difficult to find much that would be happy  in them long term otherwise. 

to walk through a forest is to touch the past

• B3B3 Posts: 6,375

I put terracotta containers or flowerpots in mine.

You can then swap them around or replant in them depending on the season and what's looking good or needing a bit of height off the ground.

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • B3B3 Posts: 6,375

Mine just sit on top of a plastic saucer that I've wedged down its throat. It sounds like it's a bit more complicated than I realised

In London. Keen but lazy.