Bees and butterfly

we have just taken out a buddlia as it had taken over the garden.  What can I replace it with that won't be so intrusive.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,412

There are new varieties of buddleja that aren't as rampant as the older ones, and they still attract the butterflies and bees.  

We have Buddleja davidii 'Miss Ruby' planted in front of our sitting room window.  We cut it back hard in March, it grows to about 5 ft tall each year and is covered with blooms and butterflies. 

It's still covered with blooms and I'm watching bees on it right now, from the comfort of the sofa image

http://www.thompson-morgan.com/flowers/all-other-seeds-and-plants/shrubs-and-roses/buddleja-davidii-miss-ruby-large-plant/t66087TM 

Last edited: 04 October 2016 10:24:07

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• mavis.denzel says:

we have just taken out a buddlia as it had taken over the garden.  What can I replace it with that won't be so intrusive.

See original post

I would recommend asking one of the websites where I get free seeds like http://www.fabfreesamples.co.uk/free-seeds-for-bees/ they always give a good amount of free seeds, so you can try it out. 

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,087

First post

Old thread

recommending a company

What do we deduce from this?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,412

Hmmmm yes Nut image

The weather is really wet and soggy out there, but there's a buff-tailed bumble bee buzzing about in the flowers of Clematis cirr Freckles which is covered in blooms. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,230

One of the best plants you can get for bees is Viper's Bugloss. They just adore it image

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,230
    nutcutlet says:

First post

Old thread

recommending a company

What do we deduce from this?

See original post
    A scam you think nut? Its very tempting but they say there's no such thing as a free lunch. Not that I'm going to eat them image