Forum home Problem solving

Glyphosate - Rosate36 Dilution rate

I've made two failed attempts with Glyphosate to get rid of all vegetation in a neglected flower bed which suffers from bind weed, brambles etc, before I plant afresh with Tulips for next year. 

The first attempt was with Bayer Garden Super Strength Glyphosate, following the dilution instructions.This browned off about 50% of the growth but did not kill anything. I suspected this was because I used inadequate amount of solution, so I should have used 2 sachets and made twice as much to ensure good spray coverage.

I then chopped off the browned off bits of the shrubs (there was less foliage left, but enough to absorb the weedkiller), and used Rosate 360, borrowed from a friend. It came with no dilution information on the pack, but based on online information, I used 30ml in about 5litre of water for a back sprayer. Even after 3+ weeks, there is no visible difference even in the smallest of weeds.

So, any ideas how I can get 3rd time lucky?

• I would have thought you'd need close to 150ml too kill everything

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 6,027

Rosate36 will do the job.
    I got some back in April and used it on an area 30ft x 30ft covered with Ivy, brambles, nettles, bindweed and docks.

I sprayed 3 times over about 2 months and it killed ALL of it - yes, the Ivy too was all dead.

The correct dilution rate for Rosate36 is 30ml per Litre of water in a sprayer. Using more than 30ml/L has no further effect.

The problem you'll have now, is that plants are stopping growth and becoming dormant. For the Rosate to work, plants do need to be actively growing

From this-

to this-

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Wow Pete8, that's effective. Mine's not that drastic but you are right, I think there is limited scope of spraying to be effective. So I will clear the area manually and if bindweed comes back next year then try to keep on top of it.

thanks for the advice. will remember to use the right dosage next time.

• akabertakabert Posts: 1
    Hi pete8 could you tell me how long it takes to work I did my 3 days ago and nothing has happened I don’t know wether to cut the grass and try again or leave it and just treat it again . Please help
    You'll have to wait longer than 3 days.
    It's absorbed into the plant but the effects take a while to show. It'll be at least 7-10 days before you see any effect.
    If it's grass you're trying to kill, 1 spraying should do it. Bigger leaves give better absorption, so best not to cut it before spraying.
    You just need to give it some time - don't rush it - I would think after 3 weeks it should all be looking very dead, especially at this time of year, but check it's all dead before digging or whatever you're going to do with the ground
    good luck
  • Digging-itDigging-it Posts: 67
    Hi Pete.8, I lost the dosage instructions for my canister of Rosate 36 and need to kill off some brambles, bindweed and nettles. I used it last year and it was very successful at clearing some ground. Many thanks.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,616
    Dose for the old Rosate 36 is 30ml in 500ml water.   The instructions should be on the can. If you have old stuff it is better safely disposed of at the council tip and get fresh.  Please tell me you have not decanted it into another bottle.  Do not pour down the drain.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
    The rate I found in the booklet was 30ml/litre of water and that's the dilution rate I've used successfully (as in my post above)

The date of manufacture is printed on the packing and it remains fully effective for 5 years (or 8, I can't quite remember) then slowly begins to loose effectiveness. It needs to be kept somewhere frost free.
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 2,697
    Best dilution rate is: Roseate 0 percent | water 100 percent. ;)
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165
    Papi Jo said:
    Best dilution rate is: Roseate 0 percent | water 100 percent. ;)
    so that's going to boost the weeds , not kill them. Then what?
    Devon.