Forum home Plants

Buddleia Globosa Height and Spread

CloggieCloggie Posts: 1,455

Does anyone have a Buddleia Globosa that they prune to almost ground level every year?  If so, what height and spread is it and does it do well for you?

Looking to position a cutting that has taken but looked it up on RHS website and was astounded that it can get to 8m tall and wide!!

• I don't prune mine harder than I would any other summer flowering shrub and it performs well. I certainly don't prune it as I would buddleja davidii types. Gentler pruning tends not to provoke such a vigorous response. 2 - 3 metres is an easy target to maintain. Look for the hybrid between the two -  B. x weyeriana and its cultivars. 

H-C

• CloggieCloggie Posts: 1,455

Thanks Hortum, 2 - 3 metres is nicer for the spot I have in mind than 8m!!

I'm not sure what variety I've got yet, my friend gave me a cutting and said it was the one with orange balls on it so I'm researching Buddliea Globosa thinking it'll be that.

I've wanted one for years and so far the plan is to have it as the height in a hot coloured border in a fairly sheltered spot.

<fingers crossed>

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

They can be huge 5m plus but when they get that height they're spectacular. Like any buddleia !take sure you have room for it.