greenhouse's

thinking of getting a greenhouse,what would be the best type of base ?  I would like to be able to use soil to grow my tomatoes and cucumber's a bit like a border and have the rest on slab's

Last edited: 01 October 2016 19:13:34

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,502

Sounds like you're looking for a 'perimeter base'
    If you have a look at most manufacturer's websites they usually give detailed advice about the correct base and options

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,414

Steve there are quite a few ways of anchoring a greenhouse down, my own is a lean to so fastened to a wall sitting on a brick base, its weight keeps it in place and has worked for thirty years. Some manufacturers make a steel base that anchors to the ground with long pins then build the green house on that, some make a concrete plinth others put down slabs and drill into them although advice should come with the green house.

Like you I had soil inside the greenhouse with a central slab walkway, after five years of changing the soil or topping up, the soil came out a membrane went in and a gravel bed put down. I got twice as many pots in on the bed it held water meaning the moisture level in the greenhouse was high beneficial for the plants and clean. A staging goes in for winter so plants can be overwintered both on the staging and under, a double use of the space. It is all up to you although a phone call or e-mail to the manufacturer of which ever is your choice of greenhouse will get an answer.

Frank.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 7,611

Many will supply a base (often called a plinth) and the stronger makes of GH such as Rhino can be erected directly on firm soil if such a base is used.  Like Frank says, changing the soil in a GH border does become a bit of a chore though.  I dug mine out after about a few years and lined the trenches with a strong landscape fabric then filled it with multi-purpose compost which makes things a bit easier when changing the soil (which needs doing annually or at least every couple of years.)  The main advantage with GH soil borders is that much less watering is needed than when growing in pots but things like tomatoes will send roots out of the bottom of the pot into a layer of gravel which works well as Frank again mentions.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.