What's this bug/ insect? & bumblebee advice

imageLast year I decided to go organic. Properly. No more cheating when the slugs are destroying precious veg in my courtyard garden. We had masses of butterflies, moths and bees this year which was great until the caterpillars slowly ate everything :( but we have had some fascinating bugs and insects, like little black bumblebees and the fly/ insect pictured

Does anyone know what it is? 

Also does anyone have any tips to ensure we keep the bumblebees happy And thriving?

all advice will be appreciated! 

Many thanks :)

Last edited: 01 October 2016 17:55:07

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,987

Early flowering plants are useful for bumble bees, they're out and about early. There are plenty of summer flowers without making extra effort. I have a very early flowering pulmonaria, P. rubra I think (though it could be a hybrid, I never get seedlings ) crocus, snowdrops and Nonea lutea which has germinated over the last few weeks and will flower February/March in normal years but was flowering on NYD this year. And some water when it's dry

Can't assess the size of your fly but if it's big have a look at Volucella zonaria, a hoverfly.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 54,525

One of the hoverfly tribe - possibly the Pellucid Fly http://www.naturespot.org.uk/species/pellucid-fly 

As for keeping the bumblebees happy - grow winter flowering shrubs and flowers to provide them with nectar on sunny days when they wake up. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh