Forum home Tools and techniques

Spent summer tub soil, what to do next?

I'm not sure what you do next..when you've planted a large tub for summer annuals and then want to clear that and use the same tub for winter plants.

Do you have to remove all the soil, as the soil is spent and will have very little nutrition? Or can you add some nourishment, like chicken pellets and replant into the same soil?

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,877

It depends on what the 'soil' in the tub is Tina.  If it is garden soil or a John Innes compost then you can just add some fertiliser.  If it is a general multi-purpose compost then best replaced but if you are only growing pansies or other winter bedding etc then you could try doing that and replace the whole lot in the spring.  Alternatively, scrape off the top few inches and replace with fresh compost.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Tina_i_amTina_i_am Posts: 173

Thank you Bob for your reply  

It is just a multipurpose compost. 

What do you do with spent multipurpose compost, can you tip it into your borders? Will it help improve soil structure? I wouldn't  know how to dispose of it otherwise. 

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,877

Yes, my used MP compost goes onto the borders and veg plot.  While it has no nutrient value it makes an excellent soil conditioner.  There have been a few recent threads about this and most folk do the same. image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • wakeshinewakeshine Posts: 964

Thanks, I have been wondering about this myself. What do you do if it has a lot of roots in it? Would you still spread it around, or just throw it away?

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,166

if it's got lots of roots in it, chuck it onto the compost heap. They'll soon rot away.

Never throw compost away. It's always good somewhere rather than the bin.

Devon.
  • wakeshinewakeshine Posts: 964

I don't have an own compost heap :-( Only a brown bin which gets collected fortnightly...