Leaf identification!

imageimage

Hi!

I wonder if anyone could help me identify these leaves which have been shooting up from where my bamboo is planted. They start as a shoot with a rolled up leaf which opens to look like this. They are all single leaves and spread out but I was wondering whether they might upset the bamboo as some of them are very close to the bamboo shoots.

Thanks!

Catherine

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,087

nothing upsets a bamboo does it?

An in situ pic and an indication of size would be useful but I think this is an Arum. 

Arum maculatum or Arum italicum are most likely but it looks too 'marked' for the former and not enough for the latter

• I agree, Lords and Ladies, Nut, and I think the variation is purely the time of year, perhaps plants slightly under stress being that close to the bamboo. Gets me stressed.

H-C 

• Thanks! That might be it. Here is another picture. The biggest are about 5-6cm in length.image

So ok to leave them?

Catherine

Looks more like italicum in that photo H-C

Not much difference Catherine. You'd have a hard job eliminating them. If you let them mature you get some lovely red berries in late summer, Don't eat them but the voles do

• Yes, that leaf is much more marked, I agree.  Fascinating plants when the spathe emerges in the spring. 

H-C

Let them mature and you'll get some of these

• Thank you very much! They'll be lovely!