EUONYMUS BUSH

imageimage

My lovely euonymus bush was infested with scale insects. imageI  had to chop it right back and get rid of the leaves.Apparently their armoured scale makes it difficult to get rid of.imageSo I decide that if I'm going to have to dig it out, I have nothing to lose. So I've just nuked the little so and so's with my hand held steamer.

• They're tough plants. I wouldn't mind betting it starts into leaf before the onset of the cold weather. 

H-C

• Hi Hortum-cretae, I hope so. Its a well established plant. I read you have to spray the scale when the crawlers are active in May to June and July to August so its to late now. I have another euonymus  in a pot round the front ,so if that one does die,I can replace it with that.

• I had the same problem last year on two of my bushes. I cut them right down and this year they have recovered well with plenty of new growth. They are very tough.

• JudojubJudojub Posts: 108

Hi Paula. 

I have no advice as I am new to gardening but just wanted to say how beautiful everything looks in your first pic! Bit green with envy image

• Hi floralies, do you think I should prune it back further or leave it as it is?

• Hi judojub,  thanks, I do spend a lot of time in the garden. Hubby says I should slow down a bit cause I haven't anymore room. But if I see something I like, I must have it. I worry about where I'm  going to squeeze it in when I get home. Hence the picture.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Thanks Hazel, Buddha has not long finished growing his bun on top of his head. I did post a pic of him after a trim in august when I joined the forum.

http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/garden-design/garden-topiary-buddha/987176.html

• Hi Paula, what a beautiful garden you have. Mine has been frazzled buy the high temperatures this summer down here in SW France.

I cut my two euonymus down to almost ground level and they responded well with lots of new growth.

• Thanks  floralies , I'll  give it another prune tomorrow, so if it does grow back it should be nice and bushy.image