Forum home Fruit & veg

Chilli plant overwintering

Hi all, 

I was just wondering if I could pick your brains. 

I grew 2 Numex suave orange habanero plants this year. They came in pretty late so they're only 8 inches or so tall. 

I want to overwinter them and I don't know whether to bring them into the house or leave them in my unheated greenhouse.

If I leave them out should I wrap some bubble wrap around the pots or something else.

Any advice would be appreciated as I've never grown any type of chilli before. 

Thanks

• Hi Danjacks, hopefully someone replies here but if not, this question came up a few days ago on this thread: http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/problem-solving/how-is-your-chilli-harvest-looking-this-year/987670.html 

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,780

Bring them indoors Dan.  They will not survive in an unheated greenhouse.  Absolute minimum temperature they'll keep growing at is about 12C.  If it goes a few degrees below that for any significant length of time they will perish.  An indoor windowsill is ideal, the sunnier the better.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Torg22Torg22 Posts: 299

Hi Dan,

Funnily enough I've been growing Numex Suave Orange this year too, I have 4 plants that I have been growing since February along with lots of other chillis. Mine were small for ages until they got put in the mini greenhouse in late spring but all are around 2ft tall now. But as you say, they have taken ages to produce fruit. I've only just started to see chilli's form within the last week or so, just as the weather is getting colder which isn't ideal.

As said above, they wont survive outside so would bring them in once it starts getting chilly out. If you are not going to cut it down to a little stump I would suggest you have it in a room that is warm and has lots of light (if possible).

• LeifUKLeifUK Posts: 573

Don't prune it to a stump until the start of next year, and prune the rootball if big, then repot in fresh compost. Capsicum chinense really do not like cold. This year I grew Lemon Habanero which turned out to be heat free, so it was something else. But it tastes nice. The one indoors on a windowsill has loads of ripe pods, the first appeared many weeks ago, the one outside under a coldframe is much less successful. as I said, they really do not like cold at all.

• Thanks for the advice everyone. I've brought them in and will see how they do over winter.