Forum home The potting shed

'Tea bags'

B3B3 Posts: 15,010

I have not bought a plant in a 'teabag' for at least two years. I'm still coming across them in the beds and on the compost heap. They are still completely intact with a little parcel of bone dry soil inside, despite the moisture in the surrounding soil.

I wonder if B&Q have got around to measuring the half-life of a 'teabag' so that we can have some idea of when they might biodegrade.

In London. Keen but lazy.

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532

B3, I've never seen a tea bag for plants, can you put up a pic.?image

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

I've heard of these bags that mesh the plant roots. Unfortunately everything I've heard is to make sure you take said bags off before you plant them as they don't fall to bits as much as you expect.

• B3B3 Posts: 15,010

http://www.diy.com/easygrow 

Try this link where their supposed virtues are lauded 

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

Maybe I am being a little blinded by my ear infection but... it doesn't make it clear what happens to the tea bag. As in it doesn't actually state that the bag will disappear. Only that you've effectively buried the problem.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 6,107

Me too. At first I wondered what it was I was digging up in the borders. Then I realized - the netting is still in perfect condition with bone dry compost inside.

Shouldn't be allowed.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • B3B3 Posts: 15,010

"The Teabag Technology™ is produced from PLA (polylactide), a fully compostable fabric derived from corn starch, which disintegrates in the soil, allowing roots to establish quickly. "

This is a quote from another site about the teabag technology. I have found the opposite to all claims above to be the case.

• sanjy67sanjy67 Posts: 1,007

i dug up a camelia as it was growing (after three years) it had it's roots still wrapped up in a teabag, totally intact ^^ 

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,705

I lost several penstemons last winter. Every one I pulled up was inside one of the little bags. The ones I had grown on myself from cuttings survived.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.