Forum home Fruit & veg

Saving Runner Beans

How do I save runner beans for planting next year?  In the pod or do I remove from the pod ?

• Hi Superclass

I am just preparing my own for this year although they are still in the ground

I normally select good long pods by tying string around them to save being picked and leave on the plant until they are finished and the pods are bulging with the fat seeds.

From there I hang them up on the vines and completely dry them put until they are brown and papery and they take beans from pods and save in paper bag for next year.

You can also if drying lots use the beans from dried in stews over winter etc etc

Happy gardening

• BLTBLT Posts: 525

I tend to save my runner seeds too.. I have plenty for next year.. Buying Runner Bean seeds is not cheap.. I have been doing this for years..  Works for me .. I do the same with my Early Onward Peas too...

• Many thanks for your responses re my runner beans. I had a wonderful crop this year. Am also drying seeds of my single tomatoes. 

• BLTBLT Posts: 525

Actually I have thought about drying a tomato out for seeds to. Not tried that before...

I have some Alicante less and Gardeners delight the last few.. might even salvage a Roma plum tom, good job you remined me thanks..

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532

I don't save my seeds because they might not come true. But I got 2 packs of seeds 1.00 each in the sale from Mr.fothergills.image

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,470

I find runner beans come true for a couple of years , then I refresh the stock with some from a seed merchant.

• imageimage

Hi all

well that's my bean seeds saved for next year. Red Scarlett beans and what a year with at least 60lbs plus of yeild. You can onl ea so many however plenty frozen and given as to friends and family

Happy gardening allimage

• We are giving you relax And comfortable Outdoor Garden bean bags
    you can easily buy it in your price

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,227

EXACTLY.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,227

TRUE, TRUE.

IN MY CASE, BROAD BEANS WOULD BE A MUCH BETTER OPTION.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.