Forum home Fruit & veg

Fruit Trees Help

Hi folks,

In the corner of my garden I have a couple of apple trees and a pear tree.

One of the apple trees is full of apples (not sure if cooking or eating, how can you tell?) although it is leaning over heavily, is there a way I can get it to go upright again before it collapses, or should I leave it alone?

My other apple tree and pear tree both look very sorry for themselves. The pear tree only has one tiny pear on it and doesn't look great, the other apple tree has one tiny apple on it and looks terrible. Is there anything I can to to give them a new lease of life or should I cut them down and re-plant new?

BTW don't know how old any of the trees are but they are all mature, probably 10ft tall.....

This is the wonky Apple tree:

• CeresCeres Posts: 1,867

Can't help you with advice about how to resurrect the trees but as to whether the apple is a cooker or eater, take a bite. If your mouth puckers and you want to spit out the fruit, its probably best to cook it with some sugar. Some fruits double as both but yours doesn't look like one of them.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,521

I WOULD SAY, AT A GUESS, THAT YOUR APPLE TREE IS A BRAMLEY. BUT I COULD BE WRONG.

IS YOUR GARDEN ON A SLOPE OR DID YOU NOT HOLD THE CAMERA LEVEL OR IS IT AN OPTICAL ILLUSION?

IF YOUR APPLE TREE IS BOTH LEANING AND LEANING DOWNHILL THERE IS NOT A GREAT DEAL THAT YOU CAN DO.

IF IT IS LEANING BUT ON A LEVEL SURFACE YOU COULD INSERT A PROP UNDER ITS MAJOR BRANCHES WHILE VERY, VERY GRADUALLY, OVER THE COURSE OF THREE OR FOUR YEARS, PRUNING IT SO THAT IT GROWS IN THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION TO THE WAY THAT IT IS LEANING AND SLOWLY, SLOWLY BALANCES ITSELF A BIT.

POOR FRUITING IN ANY TREE IS GENERALLY DOWN TO POOR POLLINATION. LATE FROST? NO COMPATIBLE TREE TO POLLINATE IT NEARBY?

ANOTHER CAUSE FOR POOR FRUITING IS TOO MUCH COMPETITION FROM SURROUNDING GRASS. CUT A BIG CIRCLE OF GRASS AWAY FROM THE TRUNK OF EACH TREE, AT LEAST AS BIG AS THE CROWN OF THE TREE IN DIAMETER, AND KEEP IT CLEAR AND UNOBSTRUCTED.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.