Wicker planter trough - where can I find?

I have a walled garden and on the top of the wall I would like to put some planting troughs to give more height and privacy (big wide wall topped with flat flag stones, garden is sunken and backs onto graveyard so people can look down and into the garden if visiting the church)

I would really like some long wicker planting troughs in grey wicker, about a foot tall and 4 ft long.

I can find wooden ones, metal ones, plastic ones and small wicker ones but not long wicker ones :(

Anyone seen anything that fits the bill? Or does it not exist?

Thanks

Chloe 

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,736

I THINK THE MAIN PROBLEMS WILL BE 1. DURABILITY AND 2. RIGIDITY.

WILLOW AND HAZEL HURDLES AND OTHER PRODUCTS DON'T LAST LONG IN WET WEATHER, IN THE WIND AND AFTER INSECTS HAVE SHOWN AN INTEREST IN THEM. 

A LONG PLANTER IS PRONE TO TWISTING AND DISTORTION UNLESS IT IS MERELY A COSMETIC COVERING TO A RIGID CONTAINER.

BURGON AND BALL DO THEM IN A SMALL, STURDY SHAPE BUT YOU WOULD HAVE TO SPRAY THEM GREY.

https://www.burgonandball.com/shop/scripts/prodList.asp?idcategory=122

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • pansyface says:

I THINK THE MAIN PROBLEMS WILL BE 1. DURABILITY AND 2. RIGIDITY.

WILLOW AND HAZEL HURDLES AND OTHER PRODUCTS DON'T LAST LONG IN WET WEATHER, IN THE WIND AND AFTER INSECTS HAVE SHOWN AN INTEREST IN THEM. 

A LONG PLANTER IS PRONE TO TWISTING AND DISTORTION UNLESS IT IS MERELY A COSMETIC COVERING TO A RIGID CONTAINER.

BURGON AND BALL DO THEM IN A SMALL, STURDY SHAPE BUT YOU WOULD HAVE TO SPRAY THEM GREY.

https://www.burgonandball.com/shop/scripts/prodList.asp?idcategory=122

See original post

Oh thanks for the link. I guess I could get some cheap plastic troughs and then put these round the outside so that the actual plants are in a solid container but the wicker surround makes it look like they are in the basket. I wonder how nice they would look though....

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,916

I think that is the way to go. You could use that wickery stuff that you use as fence screening stuff cut to fit your plastic containers of choice.

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • B3B3 Posts: 9,785

I have a huge trough shaped wicker basket.

I lined it with heavy duty rubble sacks stapled inside.  The overlap,allows drainage and I stand it on pot feet so that it can dry out underneath.

It's on year four outside now and shows no sign of disintegrating.

Bought it in ikea and then, as you do, I found I had nowhere to put it in the house.

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,916

I think there is wicker and wicker. The sturdy stuff that is used to make things like log baskets and then the thin reedy stuff that disintegrates quickly. No chance of finding a willow worker locally to make your baskets?

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • sanjy67sanjy67 Posts: 1,007

this edging would do the job, fixed to the wall(cutting off the push in bits of course) all the way along, either just on your side or both depending on budget, then the plastic planters can be placed behind for your plants to hang over, i just typed in 'push in willow edging' into google, this link is just the first one i clicked on to give you an idea of what i'm talking about but i'm sure if you have a look on google you will find better prices

http://www.mastergardenproducts.com/willow_edging.htm

Last edited: 26 September 2016 19:59:55

• B3 says:

I have a huge trough shaped wicker basket.

I lined it with heavy duty rubble sacks stapled inside.  The overlap,allows drainage and I stand it on pot feet so that it can dry out underneath.

It's on year four outside now and shows no sign of disintegrating.

Bought it in ikea and then, as you do, I found I had nowhere to put it in the house.

See original post

Thank you everyone for your responses and ideas.

B3 you are a GENIUS! It never occurred to me to look for a basket and line it. I was searching for 'wicker planter trough' and getting nothing then on your suggestion looked for long wicker basket and BOOM! Perfect results. I can use some old horse feed bags I have to line it and staple them inside.

Thanks so much, I know what I will be doing this weekend! ;)

• sanjy67sanjy67 Posts: 1,007

i have a wicker large log basket or linen basket with handles, i rescued out of a garden centre bin(nothing wrong with it) i lined it with compost bags and it's on it's third year with no problems

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

Look for a willow-weaving person and commission what you want.  Ask at the library or WI offices for Speakers List.  Sure to be someone on the list.