Creating an ornamental and edible garden

I'm interested in ideas for combining the ornamental and productive in the garden. I've written about some ways I try to do this in my garden:

https://dogwooddays.net/2016/09/24/6-ways-to-create-an-ornamental-and-productive-garden/

and I'd love to hear about other ways fellow gardeners fill their gardens with edible plants without losing the beauty along the way.

Thanks image

• CeresCeres Posts: 1,706

What a lovely idea.....and a nice blog, by the way.

Years ago we visited Chateau Villandry on a blazing hot day and found the most wonderful formal garden full of veg. No reason why edible things shouldn't be as beautiful as flowers.http://www.chateauvillandry.fr/en/project/the-kitchen-garden/

I plant the herbs in with the ornamentals and they attract a lot of insects when in flower.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 16,800

Have a read of Geoff Hamilton's Ornamental Kitchen Garden - probably out of print now but sometimes available in charity shops and also on loan from libraries.   You can still get it on DVD.

Last edited: 25 September 2016 12:16:17

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Joy Larkom is  a must read too. Her books Vegetables from a Small Garden, Salads from a Small Garden or Creative Vegetable Gardening could  be especially  helpful for you. She was responsible for introducing Lollo Rosso and many unusual vegetables and also wanted her vegetable garden to look attractive. Loads of good ideas, hints and tips.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 16,800

Attractive yes but never yet had a tasty Lollo Rosso.   I find oak leaf lettuce much more flavourful and just as pretty if done as a "tapestry" alternating with green Cos lettuce or green oak leaf.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Thanks Ceres - I'd love to visit - stunning gardens and such good uses of edibles.

Thanks for the book ideas BCD and Obelixx. I'm always after new books to read. :-D