Experience using hessian / jute as landscaping fabric?

I'm planting some shrubs on a steep bank, where there is currently nothing growing, except a few weeds. I want to use a landscaping fabric while the shrubs establish, to stop the soil washing away and keep down the weeds. I'd like to use hessian, as it would look better, but I've never used it before. Has anyone had any experience of using hessian? Did it work?  Did it last long enough?

Thank you!

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,730

Never used it but as they used to use it for potato sacks I would think it would be very long lasting.

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • hessian will last for about 6 months in warm weather, a bit longer in cool weather. a couple of layers is better than one, if you want you can put a layer of wet cardboard underneath as that'll stop the weeds coming thru the hessian.

• a1154a1154 Posts: 714

I havent any experience of using hessian, but i do have the same problem, ie steep banks of weeds, so i would be interested in the results.  I suspect you wont be excluding enough light with hessian. Im using weed fabric and it does look awful for a couple of weeks, then you sort of get used to it.