Forum home Plants

Flower bed

Hi

I'm wanting to make a flower bed and would be interested for peoples opinion on what flowers/plants/shrubs to use. I was thinking of choosing all hardy perennials that look attractive all year round. I've got a Laurel cutting in there already that is just over 1ft and will probably keep in around that size if not a bit bigger. I was thinking of having a miniture conifer (again 1-2ft), a fuchsia and a Hydrangea. The area is  5ft x 10ft and I would prefer room around each plant as a opposed to it all growing into each other.

I would have annuals as well such as pansies but would prefer to use perennials and shrubs due to not having to replant every year. 

So what other plants would you go for that look good all year round and especially when blooming.

• bulkerbbulkerb Posts: 258

Well based on the plants you have ideas on already you won't need much but to give any more advice you will have to tell us which way the bed is facing.

What sort of soil you have is it sunny or shady and if you can post some photos to help and so on I think then others might give you a more comprehensive list good luck 

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,368

I don't want to p.... on your firework but that laurel will not accept being kept at a foot, laurels are enormous. After a year or so all you'll have is and ugly stump . If you want a small shrub, get a small shrub. Sarcococca maybe or one of small euonymus. There are loads to choose from.

• I go along with the last two reports, need more info for one, depend n the size of bed will decide on the size of shrubs you can plant, no point buying plants you got to chop back, get a mix of evergreen to go through the bed then herbaceous  pockets last of all some bulbs and annual bedding to fill the gaps, the bedding will get less each season as the shrubs grow.

• AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 4,470

You should choose plants that you like the look of, eg. Verdun's abelia idea (cracking!), but the plants will have to suit the soil and aspect that you already have (as others have said). 

If you had a Hydrangea, for example, you would have to leave quite a bit of room around it for it still be a 'stand-alone' specimen in 5 years time. You may need to mix shrubs with flowering perennials to achieve year-round cover/colour with blooms. If you like 'neat' then you may not like things that die back leaving browning foliage, as with many of the bulbs. 

My garden and I live in South Wales. 
  • Hi all

Yes pictures below of the area, it is about 5 metres away from the house so it is in the shade at some point in the day. I've also put a drawing of an intial thought, I like the idea of having some evergreens, maybe a row of shrubs on the back then some flowing perennials and then as tall trees suggested placing annuals to fill the gaps. Tall trees you say the bedding gaps will get smaller each year the shrubs grow but can't I just prune the shrubs to keep them at a certain size. Thanks for the responses so far and some of those plants I've googled look good, I've got something like the Libertias, but it has orange flowers on it. Agree about the Laurel, it looks fine as it is but if it does go stumpy it will be no good, and as for the miniature conifer my neighbour has one and I liked the look of it, I had some in the garden that were taller than the house and was a job to get down so I wouldn't let it grow above 2ft lol

imageimage

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,322

Snowy I think you should do some googling and find pictures of gardens that you like and give us some links so that we can identify the plants for you.  

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Hi

Thanks Verdun, I would prefer to go to a Garden centre and see things in real life but its easier to look on the internet, I'm not sure of any centres close to me other than B + Q and can't see them stocking much variety. Yes agree about Lavender, you can't see it but in the picture I have a Lavender boarder at the back fence and I've just given them there trim for the year and potted 150 cuttings to finish the rest of the board as I would like it all the way around the garden. Agree about the hedge and that is why I wanted space between them so that you can admire them individually, I would like different colours to make the ever greens stand out, I do find fuchsias lovely in colour. I've never done a PH test of my soil. I think dwarf shrubs are probably the way to go, I've seen a Azalea (http://www.jparkers.co.uk/azalea-diamond-orange) that grows to 1mtr heigh x1 mtre wide over 10 years, so could possibly have two shrubs that kind of size at the front and 2 more at the back and then a smaller one in between (6 plants in total). 

• Hi Snowy, I am also not sure about the hydrangea - depends on the soil and light situation and also in my opinion hydrangeas don't look that great all year round. I think they go quite twiggy in winter. However, despite my saying this, we do have 7, yes 7, in our garden and when they flower they do look beautiful.

I think also you need to be careful about the row of evergreens. We have one purely because the neighbours conifers mean that it's all we can grow there. Flowers may not grow properly near them. I think fuscia and saracocca are good ideas. For colour here are my ideas - we have a huge wiegala which produces a mass of pink blooms in spring, it's amazing, you could look that up, but it might be to big for your flower bed. Also a lavatera which is wonderful but also doesn't look great in winter - but when it flowers it's for a long period and it's like a pink/purple peacock, if they existed lol. Also it's very big but have a look at that. I don't really know much about evergreens but fuscia and miniature conifer sound good, although won't the ground around it get very dry? And what about some peonies for added colour? They take ages to establish but though flowering is short, they have nice foliage after flowering and are apparently reliable. It's funny you mentioned azaleas diamond orange - we have either this or diamond red - it's over 10 years old, low growing and has spread beautifully and is absolutely stunning in late spring/early summer. And the foliage after flowering is also beautiful. 

I personally would also grow lilies. I don't think people grow lilies enough in the garden! I have grown a few varieties this year (from Harts, both oriental and asiatic) and in previous years - they are perrenial, they were easy to grow, they are in bloom at the moment, they look spectacular, and come back bigger and better. I have some in the ground and in containers from years ago which are still beautiful.

These are just my suggestions in my limited experience.

Last edited: 21 September 2016 13:18:24