Forum home Plants

What shape

BreatheBreathe Posts: 114

I bought a 2 foot high purple camellia and want to plant it near garden wall. I have been looking at obelisks and fan shaped willow trellises and want something that doesn't itself fight for attention- saw pretty wrought iron stand but unless plant really took off it might outperform it for style! Fan shape looks like I might be forcing the shape . What do others use? My wrap around patch small - 27 feet all round,  but only 18" wide. Wall is orangey In colour.

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Posts: 36,213

Camellias do not need any support Breathe so are you thinking of something else?

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • BreatheBreathe Posts: 114

Colour me mistaken- clematis-! Sorry chums!! I HAVE looked at square trellis - THAT seems unobtrusive and the flowers might look nice in between the frame of a square?

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 52,214

Trellis or a really good support of wires, especially if it's one of the bigger types. 

Ideally, you want to train horizontally as well as vertically to get  maximum flower power  image

Also - don't plant too close to your wall. It's harder for them to get enough moisture there. 

Last edited: 19 September 2016 17:57:51

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...

Yes I was thinking of square trellis but I don't want support to look more substantial than plant.

Yes, but the plant will grow! 

What type of clematis have you got? Even the alpinas cover a fair bit of space. If you put something small in place, you'll only have to put a bigger one in in a year or two. They also get quite heavy, so a flimsy support isn't worthwhile.   image

imageI think this is lovely yes I know to plant it a foot from wall to catch rainfall properly

Yes fairygirl but my jasmine nudiflora is a bit strangly  and wispy after 3 years despite pinching out!

The type is; ruby wedding - meant to good for container but I'd like to stick it in ground now. 

Winter jasmine is shrubby , Breathe - a prune is beneficial. It's different from the other types. Was it a bit root bound when you planted it? They're usually pretty straighforward, so there could be an underlying issue with it

Just make sure your clematis has some decent compost in the planting hole and is well watered in. A mulch helps prevent moisture loss too. It'll be a much bigger, sturdier plant next year. They all take a few years to get to full maturity.  image