Re-using seed compost, good or bad idea?

Ive been pricking out my seedlings into individual pots. I wondered what everyone else does with the compost left in the  seed trays. Is it ok to re-use this for the next batch of seeds or should it be sterilised first ( not sure how to do this) it seems such a waste to throw it on the compost or on the garden. 

Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late.

• CeresCeres Posts: 1,713

I always use new compost for each seed sowing because it is so disappointing to have newly emerged plants keel over due to some soil born infection. The old compost gets chucked on the garden. I have stuck compost in the oven to sterilize it but it does make the kitchen smell a bit rural.

• LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,030

It's probably a good idea to use fresh compost for every sowing that you do.  Any debris left could affect the new seedlings (mould etc).  Not much compost is wasted from a seed tray and I use it to mulch around shrubs.  I do the same with all my containers too.

• Bright starBright star Wrea GreenPosts: 673

Thanks Ceres and LesleyK, I've been throwing it on the garden as my soil is not very good ( newbuild rubbish) so it's not a total waste. the seed sowing is a new venture for me and I've much to learn!

Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.