Sick looking Tulameen raspberries

This is my first year growing raspberries and after a bit of a slow start I now have a tied in row of canes from my summer fruiting Tulameen raspberries ready to fruit next year....they got attacked by sawfly so the leaves are looking a bit holey, and now the leaves have all started to go brown, shrivel up and fall off starting from the base and spreading upwards. The tops of the canes are lush and green and still growing (though I'm about to chop out the tips to keep them inside the fruit netting as they've getting a bit tall). 

So my question is do canes always look crap though to the following year and drop their leaves, or have I got some poorly canes? There are new runners popping up in places so they can't be that sick right?!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 42,705

Raspberries are deciduous and lose their leaves for the winter.  

I only grow autumn fruiting raspberries so I don't know when summer fruiting varieties start losing their leaves.  

Anyone else got any thoughts on this? 

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in - Greek proverb 
  • Ah, I didn't know they were deciduous ;-) Newbie gap in my knowledge there! In that case I'll assume they're fine and hope for my first crop of fruit next year. Thanks :-) 

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,535

Emma41,they are going dormant,i have summer and autumn fruiting Raspberries,so don't worry.image