Alicante toms

Can anyone tell me what's wrong with my alicantes? They have pale green patches on them. Can I still eat them?image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,791

I'm afraid some of those look as if they may be affected by blight.  

Were the plants healthy?  Did they have any black patches on the stems? 

Last edited: 19 September 2016 08:04:13

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
  • imagethat's one of the alicante plants with the large toms. All the alicantes are like this, none of the other tomatoes though. No black patches and plants seem healthy

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener LeicsPosts: 6,503

That's a LOT of fruit for a tomato plant being grown outside!  I think there are too many for them to be able to ripen properly which is likely the problem, now we have seen it.  I can't tell from the photo how many trusses there are but you would normally limit them to 4 or 5 at most when grown outside.  If you have more than that I would remove the extra trusses starting at the top of the plant (you could make green chutney with them) which may give the fruit on the lower trusses a chance to ripen (if we get a bit more nice weather that is.)

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • They did get a bit out of hand image I'm picking toms as soon as they are nearly ripe but I'll pick a few of the big Green ones and see if it helps. 

Thank you

Ah, that could be why they're struggling to ripen. I'd pick all the green ones and make delicious Green Tomato Chutney, and leave the ones that are changing colour to ripen on the plant. 

Next year take a look at info on taking out side shoots of tomato plants. Almost all varieties need this to be done if you want good productivity. 

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !

Ah, that could be why they're struggling to ripen. I'd pick all the green ones and make delicious Green Tomato Chutney, and leave the ones that are changing colour to ripen on the plant. 

Next year take a look at info on taking out side shoots of tomato plants. Almost all varieties need this to be done if you want good productivity. 

Also, when the tomatoes begin to ripen it's helpful to remove a lot of the plants lower leaves. You could do this now, to concentrate energy on the fruits and increase air flow around the plants which cuts down on the chance of bacterial problems. 

whoops! Repeated myself a bit image