Weed Flame Wand

Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 23,569

Advice needed please. I have recently invested in one of these weapons and I could really do with some advice on usage. Do I totally frazz the weeds until they resemble bad BBQ offerings or can I be more subtle. I have never even seen one of these in use so am rather puzzled as to what to do for the best. Thank you in advance.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 23,569

Thanks Patsy. i cannot get down to weeding between my block paving like I used to do so this is an easy option.

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,090

Advice I was given was to go back over the area the following day and since the weeds will have dried out, then it is easier to frazzle them.  I find that our most pernicious weed (pearlwort) definitely needs two burnings like that to get rid of it.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 16,234

Great stuff.  I'm off to buy one of these contraptions on Tuesday.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 7,593

The beauty of these devices is that they'll destroy any seeds too, which is particularly useful for weeds growing in the cracks of paving etc. image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.

Do be careful. there have been reports of people causing fires by careless use. And the end of the burner gets very hot, so be wary of where you put it after using it.

I managed to set fire to the ivy on a wall once. Fortunately it was easy to extinguish, but fires can smoulder for a long time before bursting into proper flame.

And yes I know your grandmother knows how to extract the juice from eggs.

Last edited: 18 September 2016 16:38:19

Wise advice - on both counts - Berghill, thanks for that. Its easy to use and not too heavy which is another plus point for me - and there's no nasty chemicals. I recommend it Obxx

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 16,234

Glyphosate will be banned in the new garden and I don't like chemicals anyway.  Being a bit of a pyrotechnic I think a mini flame thrower will be right up my street.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

I scared myself with the sadisitic pleasure I had in scorching the weeds!

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,754

You can barbecue them, but it's a lot quicker and uses a lot less gas just to cook them gently.  As soon as they get hot they'll die and will then dry out in a day or three.  If you're the pyromaniacal type - or if they're particularly resilient - you can go back over them then to destroy the evidence.

Last edited: 18 September 2016 17:14:14

The major problem I have with ours is that it cripples my back using it. I find I have to slightly bend to make the flame touch the weed and that is agony.