What to do

hello, I bought 2 x lovely glazed pots/saucers a while back intending to put bulbs in them. Have since discovered they are not frost-proof so am wary of keeping them outside in winter. Can't use them indoors as they are too big. Can I put something in them that dies down over winter and leave them in an unheated but very light shed until Spring ??? Will the plants survive being inside ??

was thinking about selling them on but really like them.

any advice welcome, 

thanks, shazza   

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,069

I think if the pots are dry they'll be OK so maybe just plant them up for summer

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 14,741

Hi shazza. You could plant them with some of the later flowering bulbs and leave them in your shed over winter then bring them out when all danger of frost has passed. Even in a shed, if we have a severe Winter, the compost may freeze and split the pots. I would keep them for Summer as nutcutlet advises.

Weekends are like rainbows. They look great from a distance but once you get up close to them, they start to disappear.
  • hello, thanks for all the replies, was afraid of something like that. Oh well, plan B it is then keep them for next year instead. Perhaps i'll buy some summer bedding to put in them instead and empty them in time for winter !!!

cheers, shazza

• B3B3 Posts: 5,006

It's good to have some empty pots in the spring so that you don't have to wait for the spring stuff to die off before you start planting you summer stuff. Your glass (or pot) is half full so to speakimage

In London. Keen but lazy.