Which fertiliser?

Hi All

Could someone please recommend a general fertiliser to spread on the lawn after scarifying and before reseeding. image

Ta v much. 

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 24,715

At this time of year it should be an Autumn feed for lawns but I wouldn't consider a fertiliser if you are going to re-seed immediately

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 54,607

I agree, don't fertilize if you're going to re-seed this autumn. 

Brush in a top-dressing of good topsoil after scarifying, then re-seed. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• DesthemoanerDesthemoaner FlintshirePosts: 179

Thanks all.

I have the topsoil and the seed, but the accounts of scarifying that I've read to tend to mention applying a general fertiliser a few days before reseeding.

I'll take the collective advice, save a bit of money and time and leave the fertiliser bit out. image

One more question. Well, a couple, technically. 

When adding the top dressing is it best to mix the seed in with the topsoil and then apply it to the surface, or put the seed on then the soil, or the soil then the seed and rake in? Or doesn't it matter too much?

Dove, I think you've purchased the same scarifier that I have, difference being that yours has been used and mine continues to languish in the shed, until Monday at the earliest. My lawn is on clay, the moss problem is pretty bad,  I've cut the grass today and intend to tackle the scarifying next week. What setting would you recommend for the rake attachment? And what exactly is the intended function of the other roller thingy, the one that looks like something they might have attached to Sherman tanks on D-Day?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 54,607

Des image

The cylinder with spikes is the lawn rake - I've used that to get loads of moss and thatch out of the lawn - nearly filled the brown council bin just with the small front lawn.  Think I used it on the sort of middle setting.  Try it and see, it's easy to adjust.

The cylinder with blades is the scarifier.  It'll cut slits in the lawn.  I've not used it yet as the ground has been so dry and I wanted some rain to soak into the lawn after I'd raked it before I attacked the lawn again. .  I'm hoping to use it this week and then brush some topsoil into the slits and scatter some lawn seed over.  

If you plough through the instruction leaflet it does explain what height to do each function at - it's not explained terribly well so make a coffee and sit down and ponder over it - with a bit of caffeine it suddenly became clearer image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Thanks very much, Dove.

I'm not good with instructions because once I get my hands on a new toy I just want to use it right away. I suppose I'm lucky that some of my previous power tool purchases haven't ended in disaster as a direct result of this wretched addiction to impatience. 

On reflection, this bit of kit does look far too dangerous to mess with without at least a cursory glance at the rules and regs, so I'll do some pondering, I promise. image