Forum home The potting shed

Shed insulation. HELP!!!

Hey, 

I really need to insulate my garden shed. 

I need to do this as cheap as possible. It doesn't need to be the ritz just something to keep the damp and frost out. 

I Have been looking online and everything is so professional and expensive. 

Does anyone have any tips or experience with this? 

Thanks so much in advance. 

• BLTBLT Posts: 525

Bubble wrap??

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 4,914

Have you looked on Ebay? Or I think there's a website that sells 'seconds' - i.e. insulation which doesn't meet current regulations for houses. DIY stores often do buy one get one free deals on loft insulation. You may need to MacGyver a way to keep it in place though, so depends how 'handy' you are with counterbattens and roofing felt.

“There is no military solution
    Doesn't always end up as something worse”
  • Bright starBright star Wrea GreenPosts: 1,022

Monty Don uses bubble wrap to insulate his greenhouse, can't see why it wouldn't work in a shed. You could re-use it next year if it works.

Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late.

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 32,761

If you want really, really cheap and can find the fixings for it you could just use several layers of newspaper image

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • Thanks so much for all your suggestions. 

• AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 4,316

You could use some plastic sheeting outside and some cardboard and bubble wrap inside. Maybe a local supermarket or DIY shop can donate you some packaging etc? Might end up being very cosy... so you might have little visitors! 

My garden and I live in South Wales. 
  • Bright starBright star Wrea GreenPosts: 1,022

Monty used the bubble wrap with the larger bubbles which is a bit firmer and easier to handle

Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late.

• BLTBLT Posts: 525

Yes the bigger bubbles are best.. garden centre sell it on a big roller you just measure up and buy what you need,fix with thumb tacks but sellotale onwindows..  Cardboard goes damp and mouldy..