Forum home The potting shed

Keukenhof - have you been ?

One of the things my husband & I hope to do next year is to visit Keukenhof Gardens to see the tulips.

Rather than go on an organised visit, we were thinking of organising our own flights, hotel etc.

Has anyone done this, and can you give any tips about visiting ?

Many thanks image

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,678

Hello Anni.  I've done it twice - once as a day trip from Belgium with my garden group which would't be feasible now given traffic levels and once staying in Amsterdam and meeting up with a fellow boarder and her daughter in 2007 - http://s211.photobucket.com/user/Obelixx_be/library/200704%20Keukenhof?sort=2&page=1

I would advise you to stay in Leiden which is a beautiful university town nearby with easy links to Amsterdam and the Hague which are also good possibilities for lodgings.   Check out buses and trams and train links to Keukenhof on their site.

get there early to be ahead of the crowds.   Plan to spend a good few hours if not the whole day.  There's a café and restaurant or you can take a picnic.  Make sure you have bottled water to save queuing for drinks, comfy shoes, a waterproof and that your camera is fully charged and its disk is empty and you have a notebook and pencil to jot down varieties you covet and combinations you like.  Beware the chalets with catalogues of bulbs.  Too easy to get carried away with your credit card.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • I went there when I was 14 on a school trip, we stayed in Amsterdam. Went to Keukenhof at the beginning of April, and even to my young eyes, it was like the eighth wonder of the world, I had never seen anything like it. Think it was the start of my interest in gardening, and growing things in general. I think mid March to mid April are the best times to see the bulb fields, but I think you can check on the Internet. I think when we went, the flower market in Amsterdam was open to the public as well, not sure if it still is, but if it is, it's well worth a visit. 

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 8,474

Thanks obelixx (loved the photos image)  & Brickman.

I'll certainty  look at information re: Leiden. It's nice to get feedback from people who have visited. 

• A friend of mine went 2 or 3 years ago and hasn't stopped talking about it since - the photos she took showed amazing colours and varieties - she thoroughly enjoyed the whole Dutch experience and she would certainly recommend a visit.