Have your swallows flown south, yet?

Here in Aberdeenshire the swallows and martins have almost all begun their long journey south.  I've noticed a handful left, balancing upon the telegraph wires, and expect them to be gone in the next few days.

I thought it might be interesting to track their progress towards their winter quarters.  They usually arrive here in mid April, and leave by mid September, and this year seems to be no different.

It would be nice to know when they leave, say, the north of England, the midlands and north and mid Wales, down through the home counties and into Essex, Sussex, Devon and Cornwall...and so on, over the channel.

They put an inverted comma round 'summer' so now, I suppose, that's that, until next April.

Here's wishing them a safe passage and a happy return.

Aberdeenshire, NE Scotland 🌞  
FIDDLESTICKS AND FLAPDOODLE!

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,058

they're lining up but they haven't left, Peterborough (ish)

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,632

Our resident ones had gone by the end of August. We get little clumps of them appear and disappear for several weeks after ours have left - I assume the more northern ones passing through (Exmoor). Our martins left this week.

Flying...
    Or am I falling?
  • Swallows left here a week ago (SW Ireland) a sure sign summer is over. Hopefully all of them will have a safe journey down south.

• RedwingRedwing Posts: 875

Just a trickle through my rural Sussex garden.  I think with the hot weather we are currently experiencing, their departure will be later than in a more usual year.  They tend to hang around here as long as there is a plentiful insect supply.....not seen any big movement yet.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 22,324

Still swirling around in Devon.

Devon.
  • Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 26,053

Lots of house martins here in Lancashire still but I haven't seen my swallows. I really hate it when they have left as it means Summer - for what its been worth this year - is almost over

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • Muddle-UpMuddle-Up Posts: 14,534

Update!  I thought all our swallows had flown south 2 weeks ago....then I found a pair with two babies in the nest in the shed....much worrying and fretting on my part....

Today there are 70+ birds just arrived from further north on the telegraph wires and swooping over the fields...and the shed bairns are fledged and getting stronger by the hour. image

Aberdeen University are currently researching why swallows and martins seem to be leaving the UK on average 2 weeks later than usual, and seem reluctant to do so.  They are monitoring the birds on Fairisle, their most northerly UK breeding ground.....so I reckon the flock I've just seen here may consist of quite a few of those.  I shall miss them once they've gone, but it'll be nice to get the shed back!

Expect to see them further down south, weather conditions willing, any day now!

Aberdeenshire, NE Scotland 🌞  
    FIDDLESTICKS AND FLAPDOODLE!
  • They've all gone from here in MidWales. There are a few house Martin's about but no swallows or swifts. Last saw some 2 weeks ago.

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

Monday 3 October.  Saw a bunch of swallows today in West Wales.  Youngsters I should think.

Judging by the number of blackbirds in the garden the Scandinavian birds have arrived.

• RedwingRedwing Posts: 875

Biggest movement was c2000 one day last week seen from my Sussex garden. The last few days there has been a steady trickle; I don't expert any more high count days.