Forum home Fruit & veg

white sprouting (broccoli/calabrese)

Last autumn I bought plug plants called 'white sprouting' which I assume are broccoli or calabrese (unsure of the difference).  The info that came with them suggested that the spears would come in the coming spring.  However, spring came, leaves came, more leaves came, but no spears. 

Currently more new leaves are coming thick and fast.  The plants are now 2 feet high.  Still no sign of any spears.  

So my question is should I leave them in over winter and assume that the spears will come next spring.  Have I got some duds where the spears will just not come? Or is there something else I could do with them to encourage the spears for the spring?

I've been tending them regularly picking off the cabbage white eggs and caterpillars.  So I'd like to think my investment in them will eventually pay off.

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532

I'd leave them,they might do something next spring.You could have over fed them. Or you planted them too late.Last year I planted some cabbage they've only started hearting up, so don't give up.image

• Thanks

I suspect they just didn't have enough of a growing season last year.  I'll keep battling with the cabbage whites and hope for some lovely spears in the spring.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,664

I love white sprouting broccoli - my favourite image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Hi all

I have never had white sprouting broc before so looked forward to growing it. I planted some trial seeds I was given so hope they return a good crop.

They were planted a bit later than my Purple sprouting however hope the white return is as good as that.

Iwill post a picture this week on there progress

Happy gardening

Katfish says:

Last autumn I bought plug plants called 'white sprouting' which I assume are broccoli or calabrese (unsure of the difference).  ...

White sprouting looks like this when it's ready to start harvesting.  Take the central spear first, then the side shoots will keep appearing. 

Calabrese looks like this and has fewer side shoots

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• imageimage

Hi all

As mentioned earlier pictures of my PSB and WHite SB where you can see the difference in size.

My WSB is at the front so let's hope that I get a great harvest and as much as usually get from the PSB

Will keep all updated on the progress

Happy gardening

• imageimage

Hi all

Update on the purple and white sprouting brocs.

Growth on the purple is great but the white is behind but were planted later

Had to add a few more deterants this weekend as the pidgeons have moved from my sprouts to the lush new growth on the top

lets hope for another bounty return come March through April

Happy gardening

I find the white usually c rops later than the purple, so all is as it should be.  I'm very jealous - I don't have any this year and shall have to rely on the farm shop.