On the nest...

Hi all,

I have a large woodstore that i filled with wood this year in mid April. I have since noticed that a little birdie has made its nest on the top of the wood under the shelter if the woodstore. 

Problem is i thought that nesting occurred in the early  part of the year with them flying off in spring. But cant work out if they are late or early or even if the nest is still being used? Haven't seen a bird in it so it could now be deserted?

Any guidance?

• Lily PillyLily Pilly Central southern Scotland Posts: 3,500

All nests should be empty by now Dan. This is why so much hedge cutting goes on at this time of year!

we have similar nests and always leave until now, clear, then rebuild the  store

Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
    A A Milne
  • Some species of bird will nest on and off all year round if the weather suits and there's a food supply typically but not restricted to the doves and pigeons for example.

Blackbirds can and do nest as often as they can on and on until the weather or lack of food stops them.

Given the weather at the mo there'll be plenty of smaller birds trying to get that last set of eggs and youngsters over with.

If your birds have just started nest building now I suspect that unless we have an "Indian Summer" the eggs will probably hatch but possibly fail to fledge if we get a cold wet spell in October.

• Technically all birds are protected including all nesting birds and the eggs and young so disturbing them is illegal.

However given the late start some may suggest that disturbing them now would infact be doing them a favour as they will in all probability fail anyway now so late in the season as they should perhaps be concentrating their time on fattening themselves up for the winter.

• cheers all...X

• If it's empty and doesn't appear to be being built, why not just more it to a more suitable location nearby?

I'm sure if the original builders don't find it, some squatters will be more than willing to take on the leasehold. :)