Found some holes

i have found these small holes in the ground. Any ideas what has made these. my thoughts are rats or mice

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 7,925

They could be made by one of several species of bee if the holes are small (1-2cm.)

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Bee ? That would be interesting. There about 3-4cm. It's in compost not soil if this helps

Hmm, holes are bit big for mining bees so probably mice or voles.

Link to mining bees if you're interested:

http://www.gardensafari.net/english/mining_bees.htm

• Very interesting link about mining bees Thank you. 

what should I do with these holes?  

Fill them in to see if the makers are still active - they will dig their way out if so, probably overnight.  If you aren't having any other issues I would leave them to it - the local cats will soon discover them!

• Just filled them in. They almost look like cat prints with the way they are positioned 

• imagecan anyone identify these holes in my lawn, they are quite random about an inch wide, looks like a circle has been made and soil is either missing or been scooped out. They are not footprints because they are not uniform as in strides or something walking About??

• Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,083

Looks as though squirrels have been burying nuts.     Are there any squirrels around your area?

SW Scotland
  • Hi Joyce21 thanks for your suggestion, there are squirrels in the area so maybe your right, the holes are empty but maybe something else has taken the treasure out, but yet I would expect to see loose soil around but there aren't any.

We have set up a night camera so hopefully we will see the culprit.?