Found some holes

i have found these small holes in the ground. Any ideas what has made these. my thoughts are rats or mice

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 7,040

They could be made by one of several species of bee if the holes are small (1-2cm.)

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Bee ? That would be interesting. There about 3-4cm. It's in compost not soil if this helps

Hmm, holes are bit big for mining bees so probably mice or voles.

Link to mining bees if you're interested:

http://www.gardensafari.net/english/mining_bees.htm

• Very interesting link about mining bees Thank you. 

what should I do with these holes?  

Fill them in to see if the makers are still active - they will dig their way out if so, probably overnight.  If you aren't having any other issues I would leave them to it - the local cats will soon discover them!

• Just filled them in. They almost look like cat prints with the way they are positioned 

• PassionatePassionate Posts: 225

imagecan anyone identify these holes in my lawn, they are quite random about an inch wide, looks like a circle has been made and soil is either missing or been scooped out. They are not footprints because they are not uniform as in strides or something walking About??

• Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 13,517

Looks as though squirrels have been burying nuts.     Are there any squirrels around your area?

SW Scotland
  • PassionatePassionate Posts: 225

Hi Joyce21 thanks for your suggestion, there are squirrels in the area so maybe your right, the holes are empty but maybe something else has taken the treasure out, but yet I would expect to see loose soil around but there aren't any.

We have set up a night camera so hopefully we will see the culprit.?