Forum home Plants

Are carnations an annual?

I bought two carnation plants today. They were sitting with all the violas, pansies etc so I assumed they were annuals to plant for winter flowers. I've been trying to find out for sure but what I'm reading online is confusing. The label just says 'Carnation Pink' and gives basic planting instructions. Nothing about how long they live for. 

One has a flower on it, and the other has a bud. Could anyone tell me if they will flower through the winter? Are they ok planted with other shrubs in a container or are they better alone? 

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,378

Carnations aren't usually winter flowering. There are annuals and perennials in that family. some of the naming of plants in GCs is a bit vague.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,325

My pinks flower well into autumn ripply, so it isn't unusual for them to have quite a few buds at this time of year. They respond better if deadheaded well. Carnations are slightly different and mainly summer flowering.

I'd agree with nut though - sometimes they're labelled in a haphazard way. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Oh dear, I was hoping for some winter flowers for containers. I wonder why the shop had them mixed in with all the winter pansies. I just assumed they were similar.

They are pretty though (the one with the flower anyway) and the smell is gorgeous. It'd be nice to plant them out and let them grow in the garden. Should I wait and see if they survive winter? Would that be the only way to know if they are annual or perennial? 

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,378

can you post a photo?

• If they're short lived, should I try to take cuttings from them? I've no idea how to. Or, will they survive the winter and bloom again next year?