Forum home Plants

Quick growing temporary 'screen'

I've got a small seating area made from tree stumps at the bottom of the garden.  Looking towards the beech hedge is south.  

I'm wanting something to plant in front of the stumps (next to the grass just to the left of the small kalmia) that will grow quickly, at least 1m high but can be easily removed once the other shrubs around grow to fill the space.  This is so the kids can have a 'hidden' area rather than it being completely open as is now.

It's very shaded being at the bottom of a south facing garden in from of the beech hedge.

Any ideas please?

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Posts: 36,206

Hi Andy. As you want to be able to remove anything put there have you given any thought to a single hazel or willow hurdle panel? You can then pick the 1m height you would like.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • I had thought of that but would rather a natural living 'screen'.  A grass or bamboo?  Would rather it was at least partially see through...  Could always move it once it wasnt needed there any more.

My well behaved bamboos are 18 feet high and still growing image The 1 m height and the fact that it is shady rules out a fair few grasses. You might want to think about just pushing willow wands into the ground and if it is a nice damp area as well as shady the willow wands will quickly root and give you the airy see through effedt you are after.

• What about something like the fern Polystichum munitum, would that work?  Don't have any ferns at all so don't really know anything...

• Some live willow could even be woven into a den around the stumps. i love live willow structures And we are quickly approaching the time of year for buying whips. 

Andy Leeds says:

What about something like the fern Polystichum munitum, would that work?  Don't have any ferns at all so don't really know anything...

See original post

Thats a lovely option Andy but the RHS states it takes 2-5 years to reach its full height and width so is not the fast growing solution you want.