Forum home The potting shed

G.O.C.D.

Help needed or perhaps advice I think I am suffering from GOCD that's Gardening Obsessive compulsive Disorder

even on my day off what to I do yep go to my shed and reach for my strimmer then my mower them my blower and finally my wheel barrow and cut my lawn then I spend in between times  watching video after video about gardening then I even start thinking about tomorrow and how I am going to deal with different plants.

I know i'm living alone this weekend but I feel the need for more input a bit like that darn movie even my supper is likely to be vegetables or at least rice gosh I have to laugh Lester 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 41,327

Or even wander round a shopping centre philippa - hell on earth....image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• bulkerbbulkerb Posts: 258

Well on phone googling plants and growing habits in particular skimmia plants they are like Holly you need a male to help produce the berries also beware if your looking to by cyclamen plants make sure you buy the right variety to go all through the winter and not what the garden centre are flogging right now which will have finished in a few weeks   p. S. I think my TV is on 

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 32,746
    Fairygirl says:

Or even wander round a shopping centre philippa - hell on earth....image

See original post

I agree Fg. The hideous Malls that crop up everywhere are my idea of hell on earth too. I have to have a general anaesthetic to even think about entering one. Give me a high street where I can see the sky and not have to breathe in recycled air - and where I only have to visit once in a blue moon.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,087

Yes, FG and Ladybird - me too!  And preferably a high street with plenty of charity shops... I absolutely detest clothes shopping, & since I have to chop 6" off any trousers I buy, I'd rather chop up 2nd hand clothes than expensive new ones.

No anaesthetic needed for nurseries and garden centres, however...

"The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • LoganLogan Posts: 2,532

Aym280.   

What's a holiday?

Can never go on one of those,too much to do.who would look after our boys,bracken,barley and berry.But I don't mind,rather look after the garden and watch TV.

always thinking of gardening. I've already got most of my seeds for next year.I'm thinking of moving some of my gooseberry plants,can't do it until november.Got wallflowers to put in,but until next month and bulbs.Thinking of getting a damson tree to make jam.image

• B3B3 Posts: 19,396

Aym, I see you have a foot in both camps. The eyes of the GoS are upon youimage

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

Aym, loads of hardy perennials can be sown now, don't get withdrawal symptoms. Sow some astrantia, aquilegia, anything hardy.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

Aym

tree paeonies, eryngiums, aconitums, lots of umbellifers (or whatever we call them now) and ranunculaceae, primula, the sooner and fresher the better. Arisaemas, roscoeas, roses, I've has rosa rugosa flowering a year after an autumn sowing

Some will germinate very quickly if they're fresh, others will germinate in spring. None of then need heat and some will be inhibited by heat.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.