Forum home Plants

ID this lovely bamboo please

Well it could be Phyllostachys aurea - Golden Bamboo. I have that and its relative Phyllostachys nigra in my garden and they are well behaved - only forming clumps not runners. Ready supply of plant supports too. image

• Hard to say exactly - but my guess would be Phyllostachys aureosulcata, maybe f.aureocaulis...

"The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • It has green vertical stripes on golden yellow canes.  image

"The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • Ladybird4Ladybird4 Posts: 35,797

aym, it is as lush as that. My Golden bamboo is in my back garden and the Black bamboo is in the front. When upstairs I can see the Black bamboo through my bedroom window so its quite tall image

The Black bamboo is also as lush.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable

I will take pictures of both tomorrow. The black bamboo takes a while to show its black stems.

£14 so long ago was mega expensive! I have to confess that I do not know of red stemmed bamboo but I'm going to look it up now.. If I manage to get a rooted section from my bamboo I would be happy to send it to you.

It should have shown its black stems well before that. Goodness me, I wonder what you have got?

I have just looked up red bamboo and it looks rather fine. Bamboo 'Red Fountain' or (and I defy you to pronounce this!image) Fargesia Jiuzhaigou. Sounds perfect as it is another clumper rather than runner.