Forum home The potting shed

Monty

Well all you people just love Dear Old Monty. Take a closer look at the programme and  I get the feeling he`s a little weary,looking somewhat thinner in the face.Is he thinking of retiring?

This one hour slot fits in very nicely for someone whose just bought a 2million pound property and wants to develop it .As Monty has always maintained his garden is not totally suitable.Now with a virgin piece of land and an ex devotee of Geoff Hamilton are we going to see changes? Just a thought

frenchie

Last edited: 10 September 2016 18:30:32

• Just what I was thinking! I quite like Adam Frost, he seems very down to earth despite the enormous house and garden. What has happened to the lovely Joe?

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 29,771

I hope that Monty carries on for a good while yet. I can't see Joe Swift being as charismatic. Until Monty came along Gardeners World was not the same for me after Geoff Hamilton passed away. So yes, I am a Monty lover image

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 6,111

Completely agree Ladybird

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Bright starBright star Wrea GreenPosts: 776

I agree with  Frenchcafe, i haven't watched gardeners world for a few years now ( hang my head in shame!?) but I've started to watch this new longer series. I was quite surprised at how weary Monty looked and how much slower his movements were. I've since read that he had stroke a couple of years ago and it has obviously taken its toll. I'm not sure I like the new format as it is, there seems to be an awful amount of padding out the show with the antics of montys dogs and his interaction with them, it makes me wonder if monty needs the dogs by his side for reassurance. Adam frost and his new garden project would appear to be the perfect solution for monty to bow out gracefully and for GW devotees to be slightly mollified  by Adam taking over as he was geoff Hamiltons rt hand man for many years. I don't think anybody could fill Geoff Hamiltono shoes, maybe Adam would be the next best thing

Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,156

The OP has made a habit of starting this kind of thread - hardly any other posts. Best ignored methinks...

in fact - as Hosta's been saying recently - I'm going to use my handy ignore button now image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,712

There is no problem as far as I can see. In a one hour programme, there is room for  Adam Frost to  show how to develop a new garden, and Monty to show how to maintain and alter an established one.  Carol Klein showing how to propagate as well is useful.

When Alan Titchmarsh moved I thought we would get to see how he started a new garden, but he said it would remain private, and apart from a book of pictures, it has done. He said he didn't want the camera crews invading every week.

When I first saw Adam Frosts new garden, I have to say I went green with envy. All those opportunities.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • bulkerbbulkerb Posts: 258

well can I say I like monty but just in case Adam reads this I'm the bloke to become your trusty older assistant and I would be happy to travel even if it means I have to start by making tea lester

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 29,771

I agree Patsy F. Monty is such a natural presenter and his advice and recommendations are extremely useful. Its great to know that he has his garden snags too e.g. box blight. I love to see the antics of Nigel and Nell and on a Friday night I feel that a friend has called round to talk about gardening. The programme is an oasis amongst the dross and repeats that have become the bane of TV these days and make me resent the cost of my TV licence.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 4,511

Irrespective of who fronts the show it would be nice if there were regular updates on Adam Frost's garden over the years.  As we all know, it's going to take years to develop fully.

What if Monty has slowed down?  It happens to us all.  He's not all that much younger than me, but he moves a heck of a lot better! image