Forum home Wildlife gardening

Grit

2»

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

The aquarium stuff is expensive LBimage

• Hi Carol, I'm no expert but I use Wickes 10mm gravel at £3. 09 a bag in my planters and containers. 

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 31,726

I remember in the past Geoff Hamilton advising against builders sand as it was often just sourced from beaches and had salt in it. Perhaps nowadays it is washed to remove the salt. I think sand 'cakes' more on top of pots so I prefer the horticultural grit.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

builders sand isn't the same as sharp sand, It has a softer feel and is just right to form cakes with addition of cement and stick the bricks together really well.

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,019

I think the same applies to sharp sand - that it has salt in it. Having said that. I often use sharp sand rather than horticultural sand with no problems.

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • Thanks Paula.Conway. I have some 10mm gravel,I'll try that. Carol.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 10,914

I use sharp sand (the tonne bags from Wickes are salt free (and yes, I have tasted it!)) and have several size sieves so can grade it myself.  This is the cheapest method of getting it I could find.  I also do the same with bags of 10mm pea shingle which contains all sizes up to 10mm.  I get the sharp sand and pea shingle for making concrete so the grit comes as a nice by-product.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.